Barrel question???

jmeier1981

Ok guys Im thinking about giving my dad my 1100 slug gun and building a new one, but I have a few questions first. As far as barrels go what would you recommend for sabots?

Ive done some looking and they very a lot in length and twist rate. The Mossberg barrels Ive seen are 1 in 36" twist and 24", the hastings are 1 in 34"twist and 20-26", the remingtons are 1 in 28"twist, and the american slug barrels are 1 in 26"twist and 24".

What is your opinion on the difference in accuracy between an auto-loader and a pump? so what gun, barrel, and bullet combos are you shooting and what kinda accuracy are you achieving?

Im planning on using an 870 or 1100 with a holosight or some other type of electronic sight. Does anyone have any experience with other types of electronic sights

Forget what combos everyone else tells you. Each gun has its own likes and dislikes. There is no way to get around testing your gun.

Example, this year the "hot" slug has been the new Hastings. I bought a 20 ga slug barrel for my Encore, bought 3 boxes of the Hastings and went to the range.

There I shot a nice 3 shot 10" group at 100. Needless to say did not shoot the other two boxes. However, there was a guy with 4 shotguns, 2 12 ga, and 2 20 ga siting them in with about $600 of slugs of every brand.

I swapped him two boxes of the the Hasting for two boxes of his. One of them was the Win PLat supreme, 2 3/4" 260 grains. I shot them first, got a 1 1/4" 3 shot group, adjusted zero with the other two and immediately went and bought 5 boxes. Two days later on opening day, dropped a nice 17" 9 point at 168 yards, which is very decent for an east coast VA deer.

Now if you want to make a dedicated slug gun with the 870 or 1100, have your smith put 1-2 of the 8x40 screws in the side of the action into the barrel to lock it up in your action and then loctite it when done. That alone will cut your groups by 50%.

BH

So as far as barrel length and twist rate what would be better? Will I gain anything with a longer barrel or is it not neccessary and should in theory a faster twist shoot better?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.