Barrel porting vs. muzzle break vs. suppressor ?

I didn't wear hunting unsuppressed, not did I know about hearing protection in bootcamp way back when. Sometimes the choice is ours, sometimes is not.
When I was in the Army. They didn't supply hearing protection..... When in combat I don't think I would have used them either. Yes my hearing is bad now. My hearing was about 100% going into the Army, and after I got out there was and still is a ringing in ears.
Filled for hearing lost at the time of getting out of the Army. My records show perfect hearing go in the Army. Testng afterwards shown a hearing lost. The best part of that was. The VA said I had a hearing lost, but it wasn't services connected. I wonder what I was doing in Vietnam. I guess I was playing with myself. 😂🤣😁 That why I lost my hearing to a great amount.
At the range I use hearing protection, but hunting NO! Not that many shot fired. A muzzle brake to reduce the recoil, I had one on my Ruger 338WM. It took it from shoulder kicker to a little puppy dog.

I spent my first 10 years in the USAF on the flightline working on F-4s and A-10s with long and constant exposure to noise levels above 140 dB esp., during sortie generation. Back then, all we had were foamies and headsets. The recommendation was to use both, but most only used one; some did not use any; I did both. Some of my friends that did not use the proper hearing protection had hearing loss/ear damage. My hearing was nearly the same as when I enlisted.

I wear protective gear (hearing protection, gloves, safety glasses - Mom nearly lost an eye chopping wood, etc.) at home, mowing, snow, and leaf blowing, and operating high noise level home tools and equipment.

View attachment 482859
The Air Force taught us well, but some guys are just stubborn or maybe just lazy and paid dearly for not using double protection. I also use protection with tools, etc. If you don't learn from others' mistakes, you're doomed to repeat their mistakes.

When I was in the Army. They didn't supply hearing protection..... When in combat I don't think I would have used them either. Yes my hearing is bad now. My hearing was about 100% going into the Army, and after I got out there was and still is a ringing in ears.
Filled for hearing lost at the time of getting out of the Army. My records show perfect hearing go in the Army. Testng afterwards shown a hearing lost. The best part of that was. The VA said I had a hearing lost, but it wasn't services connected. I wonder what I was doing in Vietnam. I guess I was playing with myself. 😂🤣😁 That why I lost my hearing to a great amount.
At the range I use hearing protection, but hunting NO! Not that many shot fired. A muzzle brake to reduce the recoil, I had one on my Ruger 338WM. It took it from shoulder kicker to a little puppy dog.
It was all the R&R in Saigon

I use a muzzle brake on my elk rifle. It is a .340 Wby with a 24 inch barrel. I am carrying it around the mountains for as long as 5 days early morning through late evening. I don't care to have the added weight and length that a suppressor adds to the rifle. It is heavy enough, and long enough. I use Otto Noizebarrier "in the ear" protection in the event I have to shoot. I had Mag-Na-Port added to a .270 Winchester I had back in the early days. It reduced muzzle climb, but I did not notice any reduction in recoil. I think the heavy kicking magnums see a better result in recoil reduction with the Mag-Na-Port.

what if the guys one either side of you have brake and shoot simultaneously.
Payback for the AR-15 guys that rapid fire a 30 round mag next to you with hot brass spraying all over you. I always take my magnums with brakes so when they show up, i switch rifles and it chases them away without saying a word to them. They usually have no ear protection or just one layer. LOL

Payback for the AR-15 guys that rapid fire a 30 round mag next to you with hot brass spraying all over you. I always take my magnums with brakes so when they show up, i switch rifles and it chases them away without saying a word to them. They usually have no ear protection or just one layer. LOL
I do a similar thing especially when the SBR guys think it is cool to dump a mag gangsta style next to me. I pull out the SW500 short barrel revolver and see how they like it. I warn all the courteous shooters before pull the trigger.

I think I only have two rifles without a brake and I don't shoot those. I got to the range early (just too hot now to go at all) and take the furthest table. All my rifles are loud. Tin roof over the shooting range makes them even louder. Some peole wear double ear plugs, some choose single. I give them fair warning

Last edited:
So I am thinking about re-barreling one of my Ruger 77's to 300 Win. Mag. Since I am getting older, I also thought that should consider some kind of porting to mitigate some of the recoil. It would mostly be a hunting rifle although I would like to try some long range shooting as well.

What are the current ideas on porting vs. muzzle brakes vs. suppressors
My MSR has a screw-on muzzle brake, but my hunting arms (revolvers and rifles) have all been Mag-Na-Ported. The AR was loud to begin with and now it roars.
The dual trapezoidal porting on the handguns is dramatic. Of course, the noise and muzzle flash is increased.
My 15-year-old grandson was afraid to shoot Nana's 3-inch Colts King Cobra but was surprised at how controllable it was with full-power, heavy projectiles.
On the 375 H&Hs the recoil reduction is noticeable but not nearly as dramatic.
The folks at Mag-Na-Port know what they are about and their product works.

I am a big fan of the suppressor with the ASR muzzle brake quick mount. I have one suppressor for my 300 win mag, and it also works on my .270, 5.56 & 7.62. I bought ASRs for each gun, so now they all have the same brake and can accept the same suppressor.
When you bought additional ASRs, did you get them caliber specific, or got them all 30 cal? I have the Omega and I have a 30 cal ASR.