Break action vs. Rolling/Falling Block, vs. Bolt action

Dgutter

Break action vs. Rolling/Falling Block, vs. Bolt action.

What are your thoughts for a .338 Edge? I'm looking into building one of these miniature cannons and was curious as to why I haven't seen many Break action or Rolling block or falling block rifles. Can they not properly handle these magnums for extreme long range hunting applications?

Thanks for any input.

Break action vs. Rolling/Falling Block, vs. Bolt action.

What are your thoughts for a .338 Edge? I'm looking into building one of these miniature cannons and was curious as to why I haven't seen many Break action or Rolling block or falling block rifles. Can they not properly handle these magnums for extreme long range hunting applications?

Thanks for any input.

I doubt that there is a rolling block strong enough for those chamber pressures. A falling black made of good steel is much stronger than a bolt gun, so they all claim. Can't prove it by me, but then again I never tried to blow one up!

With that being said a Ruger #1 would be just fine, and you might be able to simply run a .338 Edge reamer in a .338 mag barrel. Of course you need to change out the extractor setup.
gary

If you mean a Remington rolling block, or reproduction remington rolling block, I wouldn't go any where near one, unless it was maybe a .22 rimfire.

+1 Ruger No.1 If they can put 416 rigby in one I'd think you'd be fine. I wouldn't know about extractor issues. Other than finding a smith to cut out a custom barrel for the No.1s exctractor.

Break action, I don't see why not, I check with T/C or someone who works on them.

An Encore Pro Hunter will hold a 338 edge they offer a 416rigby in it as well but I have shot quite a few T/Cs and I'm pretty sure it will stomp your *** even with a break. Another problem with break actions will be accuracy, and it will be you not the gun, there is more time for error on your part with a break action because 1 you squeeze the trigger to disengauge the sear 2 after that the hammer slams forward into the firing pin 3 finally the firing pin strikes the primer, you have almost twice the lock time of a bolt gun so twice the time for a flinch or shake but the T/Cs are good break actions.

No rolling block will be rigid enough or strong enough for what you want.

The Ruger #1 will easily handle the Edge if converted correctly.

The TC Pro Hunter SHOULD NOT be chambered in the Edge. YOu will get alot of frame stretching and that will result in frame damage and case stretching.

Yes its chambered in the Rigby but remember that you are only allowed to shoot factory ammo or factory speced reloads in the Prohunter which means 2350 fps with a 400 gr bullet. The Rigby does this with around 55,000 psi in pressure. Very low pressure.

The Encore is not strong enough for the RUM class chamberings because of their PSI rating and case diameter.

Trust me, before they said no to these chamberings, I had two custom encores in 7mm RUM and 7.21 Tomahawk and both shot extremely well but were miserable failures. One of the receivers was stretched to the point that it had to be scrapped and brass life was VERY short producing case head seperation VERY quickly.

If you want a precision rifle, the only one thats easily accurized is the bolt action and its by far the strongest design as well so do not try to reinvent the wheel, there is a reason that 99% of all precision rifles are bolt actions.

Thanks for the information guys. Curiousity got the best of me and made me wonder why I hadn't heard of them being used. Makes sense now. I haven't had a whole lot of experience with either break actions or block style receivers. I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.