Barrel length and how long is long enough?

Spent a lot of time getting to the fun part. But it is very interesting.

I would like to see someone do something like a .300 Win Mag or a 7STW.
My guess is that it may not matter much what caliber you use, the outcome would be "similar". It's interesting that the supposed sweet spot in the video is around 40 inches. I don't know about you, but im not lugging that around ;)

I read the title and thought "that's what she said"

Then watched the informative video. I would like to see a magnum or something near 100gr of powder to see if there is any noticeable difference in magnum capacities

Last edited:
I read the title and thought "that's what she said"

Then watched the informative video. I would like to see a magnum or something near 100gr of powder to see of there is any noticeable difference in magnum capacities
At least one person thought the bullet may slow down with a barrel that long. Wonder if large magnum would do that??? Hmmm...

For magnums, my magic number is 32". Mounted in a fixed-buttstock long-action rifle, that's the longest barrel that will fit in a Pelican V800 double rifle case.

In magnum rifles, I see about 150 fps difference between 26" and 32".

Doesn't matter if it slowed down, it would be inherently more accurate in the longer barrel.

said with as much tongue in cheek sarcasm as I could muster.

Lilja did a test on velocity vs. length with a 338-378 Wby

Just ran across this video done by MDT on a barrel length test. Sheds light on a question I have had for years. How long is long enough for barrel length? Interesting outcome. Great video-fun to watch, not long.

Interesting video, but only a data series for a specific scenario, YMWM. As in every issue, the question is always what is one chasing......velocity alone as a number, or precision, accuracy, terminal performance, etc. In .22LR in shooting out to 350yds, I've found velocity peaks around 20" depending minimally on which round is shot.; accuracy precision about 16" in my scenarios, again ammo dependent. YMMV. IMHO, velocity is merely an input number, precision is the output. Kids love to go fast, pros prefer to reach their intended destination. :) :) For accuracy, velocity is a prince, but Consistency is KING. Applied Ballistics simulation and testing teaches ammo ES and Sd have more impact on precision that velocity. Real shooters in the rarefied ELR stratosphere of Todd Hodnett often select a shorter barrel, 18-20", for the stiffness, less harmonics for say a .308 out to 1200yds. Velocity is important, but Consistency is KING. Todd teaches he can repeatedly, consistently, accurately (with a quality scope that is precise, accurate, repeatable.....it is a whole system) dial the ballistics for the minor velocity loss, but can never dial for the inconsistency of the harmonics of the longer barrels. Note also that SOCCOM after extensive testing chose a 20" 308 for inclusion in their Barrett MRAD MK22 Deployment.....plus the 26" 300NM and 27" 338NM, although those last two are different scenarios. Even at my age, becoming the limiting factor, I see notable better consistency from the one 20" than from two other 24" barrels in the same MK22, all fluted, all from same Barrett barrel manufacturer. Yeah, different barrels shoot different may be some of it, but I putting length as the main deviation. Just an old geezer's observations, experiences from sitting at the feet of the Masters.

Last edited:
So in cutting the barrel the way they did. There's no crown ? Or am I missing something ? And did they file any burrs from the inside of the barrel ? Or did the bullet get rid of the burrs ? After seeing this video, does it even matter if you have a crown on the end of the barrel ?

So in cutting the barrel the way they did. There's no crown ? Or am I missing something ? And did they file any burrs from the inside of the barrel ? Or did the bullet get rid of the burrs ? After seeing this video, does it even matter if you have a crown on the end of the barrel ?
Crown is more important on the consistency of bullet exiting the barrel and resulting flight characteristics than velocity. Yeah, one can find numerous uncontrolled parameters in that interesting, but non-precise test.

My 21" 300prc saw over 3k with a 215 before I backed it down. Cruising at 2850 now

We way over think ballistics sometimes imo