Barrel Contour Advice-Please give your opinions!

muleyfreak1

Hi guys, I'm in the process of a 6.5x284 Norma build. It is going to be a hunting rifle and I would prefer to keep it right around the 9# mark for ease of packing. I am going to base it on a Rem 700 trued action.

My question is which barrel contour would be best to shoot tight groups at decent range, as I plan to shoot it out to 1000 yards, so 1/2 MOA would be preferrable. I am back and forth between Bartlein and Lilja barrels and am looking at a #3 to #4 contour in a 1:8 twist. Can you guys please give me some opinions on barrel brands and contours that would be ideal for this build? Thanks!

On my 7LRM I went with a Bartlein in a light palma contour as recommended by my smith. It is a hunting rifle only. No long strings of fire, only 3 and 5 shot groups with at least a minute between shots. Rifle came in at just a scosch under 9 pounds without the scope. Hope that helps.

Capt. D, What kind of stock and how heavy is just the stock? I was planning on going with a Bell and Carlson which weighs right around 2 pounds. thanks

Keep in mind that the contours are different between Lilja and Bartlein. What Lilja calls a #4 is close to a Bartlein #3. Lilja's #3 is close to a Bartlein #2b.

Barrel length comes into play also, as well as the scope and bottom metal. If you're going to use a heavy tactical style scope on the order of 26 ozs. or so you're going to have to have a pretty light rifle to keep the whole rig under 9 lbs. Weight can add up quickly.

Hi guys, I'm in the process of a 6.5x284 Norma build. It is going to be a hunting rifle and I would prefer to keep it right around the 9# mark for ease of packing. I am going to base it on a Rem 700 trued action.

My question is which barrel contour would be best to shoot tight groups at decent range, as I plan to shoot it out to 1000 yards, so 1/2 MOA would be preferrable. I am back and forth between Bartlein and Lilja barrels and am looking at a #3 to #4 contour in a 1:8 twist. Can you guys please give me some opinions on barrel brands and contours that would be ideal for this build? Thanks!

I believe you are on track. I have a #3 Bartlein on my hunting rifle. Of course it is not set up as a long range gun.

I am torn for my LRH rig. Brux #4 I think. 3 1/2 #. With an A3 edge around 9#

Keep in mind that the contours are different between Lilja and Bartlein. What Lilja calls a #4 is close to a Bartlein #3. Lilja's #3 is close to a Bartlein #2b.

Barrel length comes into play also, as well as the scope and bottom metal. If you're going to use a heavy tactical style scope on the order of 26 ozs. or so you're going to have to have a pretty light rifle to keep the whole rig under 9 lbs. Weight can add up quickly.

+1! My .270 AI wears a 30" SS Lilja 3-groove 1:8" #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle); as seen (hunt ready), it's around 12 lbs.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

My personal preference would be a Lilja #6 fluted at 26".

You can also talk to Dan or Carson Lilja and see what they recommend for your intended purpose. I consulted with Dan and my gunsmith before going the route I took on my .270 AI.

Good luck!

Hart 26" 1:8 twist 270 Win. "Magnum" taper. Total weight about 9.2 lbs on bathroom scale as it sits. Very good balance of weight and stability for a hunting rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 132

Lilja #4 muzzle dia is .650" @ 27"--3.47lbs, Bartlein #3 muzzle is .670" @ 26" --3.50lbs. Both are good barrels.

What you need to do is get action complete with trigger/magazine,stock,scope/mounts see what all the weights then that give you idea what you can on the barrel.

I built a 280ai on a Rem 700 with a 24inch #4 fluted barrel McMillan Remington classic edge stock. And topped it off with a Leupold VX 6 3-18. Total weight with sling is 8lb 3 oz.

The #4 fluted is a hair lighter than a Standard#3. Edge stock is 28 oz
Scope is 19.2 oz

Sorry I havnt gotten back sooner. I went with the McMillian HTG adjustable stock, standard fill, it weighs approximately 2.25#. The edge fill is lighter but I chose to keep the weight and really like the balance it has now.

I'm getting ready to put another one together soon. Ordered my barrel today. I am going to try out a Precision Stockworks stock in the edge fill on this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts