Barrel and stock advice, please.

Inky Doc

Hello all,
I'm looking at my first build-out for a long (well, longer anyway) range weapon. I have a Savage model 10 in .243 that's about a decade old and I'm looking to upgrade the barrel and stock and see how it goes from there. I'm a non-working disabled vet thus money is always a concern. I use my .243 as an all-around utility weapon on deer, hogs and yotes. I know there are lighter weight bullets in the 50-60 grain range that are ultra-flat shooters but it's more important to me to be able to send 90-100 grain bullets at deer. I have heard good things about Shaw barrels and that they are quite affordable. I am not sure of what twist rate would be good for the heavier bullets. What twist rate should I be looking for?

What is the difference, if any, between a varmint and bull barrel?

Any other barrel makers with budget-minded models you'd recommend?

With all the same things in mind is there a stock/maker you'd recommend? I've looked at Choate and Stocky's and they have some I have my eye on. Any advice is appreciated.

I hope this is the right place to post such questions. Thank you for your time.

Are you all set up for the 243 and therefore want to stick to that caliber? If I were to build on a short action I would build a 6.5creedmoor, stellar factory ammo. Either way have you looked into apache gun works? Looks like a prefit runs 190, I'm not sure how much for a Shaw. I also recommend getting a new lug and nut from ptg, northland, or gun shack.

If you can deal w/ the weight of a choate they are probably the best bang for the buck. I have one and it works like a charm. Otherwise I'd keep your eyes on the classifieds for a HS take off to pop up, I'd imagine used it would be comparable in price to a new choate.

Varmint is going to be lighter and have a taper. Bulls are straight contoured or almost straight. Other than deer what will this be used for? Will you be shooting long strings of fire? Will weight be an issue.. redundant w/ the stock but a heavy barrel on a heavy stock.. well you get the idea.

First off, thank you for your service!

For a barrel, Shaw makes a decent product for the money and I have also heard good things about McGowen barrels as well as Benchmark barrels from Savage shooters but these are a little more pricey than the Shaw. Brownells offers a Savage drop in barrel kit from Shaw for $199 and I think this would be a great option. If you are looking to shoot 100gr bullets than I would recommend a 1-8 twist barrel. For a good quality stock at an affordable price, check out Boyds stocks. You can pick one up for like $100 and they are really nice stocks in my opinion. Free float the barrel and add a little bedding, and you will have an excellent rifle that will serve you well!

Ooops.. forgot boyds too! I have a thumbhole stock that is very comfy when shouldered. The tacticool stocks are worth a look too.

I have used Shaw barrels twice ; 220 Swift and 243 Win both Varmint weight.
I used B&C Duramaxx stocks for both and they were drop-in. If you buy the Shaw kit from Brownells it will be 1 in 10. If you deal directly with Shaw you can get 10,9,or8.
My 1 in 10 Shaw 243 shoots 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tips into half minute at 100yds and
has shot minute of prairie dog out past 400yds on a calm day.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

First - Sorry for my delayed reply but I couldn't find the freakin reply button. I have looked a bunch but finally broke down and asked my wife to look for me and it took her about 3 seconds. I need to quit using my phone and get back on the computer. That being said, feel free to make fun of me, lol.

Ohiohunter - Yes, I use my .243 for everything bigger than a rabbit. I've had many surgeries on both of my shoulders thus the .243 as opposed to a 30 cal or bigger. The only time I have strung shots together is when shooting at more than one hog or coyote. It's fun to snipe the first one in the ear then try to shoot them at 200+ yards while they're running.
I don't know what you mean by a prefit regarding Apache gun works. Nor do I know what an HS take off is. I'm a true rookie and everything I know about weapons and parts is either learning by doing or from my M4 in the Army.
Regarding carry weight, it really doesn't matter. I get sore walking, sitting, driving and sleeping. What I'm wearing or carrying doesn't seem to come into play.

Jud96 - Thank you for your support! Your input is appreciated. I plan on getting the tools and materials necessary to bed the rifle myself. I very much wish to learn those types of things.

Jigger - Thank you for the input too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts