Barrel Choice?

Fluting, not worth the money, looks only. Of the barrels that I have had that were difficult to impossible to tune, everyone was fluted. I will not own another fluted barrel, and I am talking top brands.

Last edited:
To each his own, I prefer a Brux and a Krieger, 4 groove unless I am running a 180g, 7mm ELDM, then I want R rifling. Those Brux barrels are slick as a hounds tooth on the inside.
Good to know, I've only used more budget friendly barrels on Savage rifles. I've had a couple Lilja and one Pac-Nor on customs I've bought. I've only had button rifled barrels.

I've been impressed with every Bartlein barrel I've had. The 2B is my favorite contour. I also just got my first Krieger barrel and it shoots amazing as well. I have a Brux in order because I've heard great things about them as well. I think any of those 3 and you can't go wrong. I've been less impressed with Proof CF but never tried their steel barrels.

When I look at a new barrel blank with a bore scope, I love to see the inside look really slick and smooth. This characteristic of slick and smooth is typical of Button rifle barrels, Hart, Shilen, Lilja, and Pac Nor that I have had. When I started shooting Cut Rifle barrels, I noticed that some are just rough inside and may take a longer break in period with more copper fouling.

I have had a lot of Kriegers, and their Service after the Sale has proved to be stellar. If a production problem happens on a barrel, where the barrel has issue, the barrel maker should make it right. I had only one Krieger that has had a problem over the years, and the management at Krieger could not wait to get that barrel out of my hands. I sent the barrel back, and they responded with "What length and contour do you want as a replacement?"! Krieger is well known for Customer service, and for me, I don't know how you put a price on a commitment to customer satisfaction as the Krieger people exhibit.

Last edited: