Barrel break in true or not?

IF a barrel made of STEEL has any residual STEEL burrs (a big IF), I fail to see how something made of COPPER
is going to machine away those STEEL burrs.
Copper could however fill in the valleys between the burrs.
If the the STEEL burrs are too large, then return the barrel, or remove the STEEL burrs, in a precise manner,
with something harder than STEEL.
If the barrel/rifling is not perfectly cylindrical to start with, no amount of break-in with something made of COPPER
can possibly remedy that.

With the availability of the inexpensive Teslong bore scope, I predict that it will not be long before we're are seeing Video's of various barrel inspection/quality, and several different barrel brands in the same post. Get ready for the shock of your life!

Last edited:
IF a barrel made of STEEL has any residual STEEL burrs (a big IF), I fail to see how something made of COPPER
If the the STEEL burrs are too large, then return the barrel, or remove the STEEL burrs, in a precise manner,
If the barrel/rifling is not perfectly cylindrical to start with, no amount of break-in with something made of COPPER
Don't forget that water will wear away anything pretty much, so don't hose out your barrel for more than a hundred years, in fact stop at about fifty years, your barrel will thank you, as far as I'm concerned if you got a crappy barrel, nothing will make it good, get a good barrel, just keep it clean and don't go crazy, and the 20 dollar guides go a long way in keeping you not gouging up your barrel, so I guess what's important is that you don't mess up your barrel cleaning it!

It is not just the copper bullet theres pretty extreme heat involved to, as in what happens to the throat after some time with firecracking its the combination of both. The imperfections create a copper mist thats deposited down the barrel its why some BR guys I know scrub the throat area with ISSO on a new barrel.

Perhaps we all should move on to what color should we paint the bathroom
I thought blue was good, but now I'm not so sure, but I can definitely say that a dark flat shade of green is awesome in your bedroom, but maybe the same would be true for red, **** it, you had to ask that!

Don't forget that water will wear away anything pretty much, so don't hose out your barrel for more than a hundred years, in fact stop at about fifty years, your barrel will thank you, as far as I'm concerned if you got a crappy barrel, nothing will make it good, get a good barrel, just keep it clean and don't go crazy, and the 20 dollar guides go a long way in keeping you not gouging up your barrel, so I guess what's important is that you don't mess up your barrel cleaning it!
Not in many thousands of lifetimes.

It is not just the copper bullet theres pretty extreme heat involved to, as in what happens to the throat after some time with firecracking its the combination of both. The imperfections create a copper mist thats deposited down the barrel its why some BR guys I know scrub the throat area with ISSO on a new barrel.
Thurro-Clean is coming on strong!

l worked for Kenny Jarrett back in the 90s. 0ne of my jobs was barrel breakins. The process was shoot-clean for 20 rds. l dont know how well the ''shoot-clean'' process works. l could never afford his guns. Recently l fell upon an AS-NEW Cooper 21 Varmint in 223rem. l have been unable to get it to shoot 55gr boolits at this point. Light ones in the 40gr range are producing really tight groups under 3/10 inch. Talking to a fellow varmint shooter, he remarked his Cooper Varmint in 223rem didnt start shooting 55s til after several hundred. This man has been a bench rest shooter longer than most folks have lived.
Sadly, Cooper is no more. lt got bought by someone 2000 miles from MT claiming bigger and better for Cooper. Please pardon my doubts. l hope the new owners prove me WRONG

Last edited:
Not in many thousands of lifetimes.
Ok, so I might have been off by a few years, but same point, don't damage your gun by cleaning it, no need to go crazy, just get the bad stuff off, a bore guide is a good thing, it's cheap, not complicated, and goes a long way at at just cleaning what you need too, mess up a land and it messes the bullet up, now in balance bullet is out of balance, kinda like doctors creed, do no harm, I've gone years at doing the least amount of cleaning and I'm pretty anal about accuracy but I don't see it, all these break in methods, my guns should shoot like crap cause I do minimal cleaning, but instead they deliver, I'm quite amazed, I don't keep a rifle unless it will do .5 at 100yds, ar 15 I'll take 1 inch, but I'm getting better, cleaning is fine, just don't do it wrong.

No barrel break in procedure for me. Have done it on a few rifles and seemed like a big waste of time. Didnt see any difference. Now i just clean before going out for the first time and thats all. If you dont like the way she shoots, cant find a load, rebarrel or send her down the road. Its really that simple.

I'm no expert bur from reading several post on many forums I did brake in my barrels and used these shot to get it on paper and close to zero, Did it make any difference who knows but I feel like I have done the right thing as it shoots .5 and sometimes less from a factory gun.

Perhaps we all should move on to what color should we paint the bathroom
C'mon mightyman…we all know this horse is dead but we can't resist being seen giving it a few whacks…
It's human nature to try and correct those doing it wrong…or God forbid, picking the wrong color in a bathroom they'll never ever use.