Barrel break-in in sub zero temps

tbrice23

I have two barrels that need to be broke-in. I've been trying to think of a way to do it without Boretech eliminator freezing in the bore! Temps will be under 25° for the next two weeks.

I don't want to use abrasives like Tubbs if I can help it.
Any ideas?

Holy heatwave Batman... It was -29° when I went out this morning. Maybe experiment with adding alcohol to the boretech? Something like 98% isopropyl so you're not adding a ton of water. Just brainstorming.

This cold is killing me too! I have some break in too then test some loads .

Can't you yanks shoot guns in your basements without the law breaking down the door??

My buddy from Texas fireforms his Ackley rounds in his basement. (No bullets of course!)

Cheers.

I shoot my 22 with subsonics in my basement, haven't given much thought too touching off my braked creedmoor down there. Might be because I have a middle school 3 doors down! Lol.

I use Boretech if I am going to leave it over night. But when doing break in, I use Butches Bore shine (The barrel maker recommends it because it is not as aggressive as some other Solvents and as long as you keep the barrel cool (Just warm to the touch) you will have no problems and brake in will go reasonable fast. With any barrel heat freezing will not be a problem.

Normally I can do a proper break in in 3 or 4 hours in warmer temperatures. In colder weather it goes much faster. With this procedure I can normally tell/see the improvements within 5 to 7 shoot and clean cycles. on premium barrels they normally reach the point that you can start shooting 3 round groups after 10 shots.

I totally agree with you about not using any abrasives on any barrel.

J E CUSTOM

Can where I live. I do it in my shop a lot. Smells like breakfast:D
Do you wrap bacon around your barrels too?
3 shots from a fire forming load in the 375 Weatherby has the bacon smoking, another 3 and it's cooked through. I like my bacon crispy, another 5 rounds and it's ready to eat!:D
LOL.

Cheers.
;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.