Barrel Bedding ??

G

There are two methods that are common.

1) Bedding the barrel in a block or sleeve, the action and forward end of the barrel both float.

2) Bedding under the barrel for a few inches in front of the action. Typically 180 degrees from 3 to 9 O'clock for 1.5 to 3 inches under the barrel and contained within the stocks forearm. Usually the action is also bedded to the stock in this scenario. I do not like this method, it does not work as well as free floating the barrel with the action bedded properly, and usually causes the point of impact to vary more than it has to from the gun in a cold condition to a hot condition.

Could you all explain what barrel bedding is and when is it used or preferred over free floating?

Thanks, everyone.

I use the support under the first 1" or 2" of barrel bedding (rest of barrel is free floated) and have so for many, many rifles. The actions are fully bedded at the same time leaving action and stock stress free from the weight of the barrel.

I have had wonderful success and very stable results through all shooting conditions.

In fact, using this method, I have been able to support very heavy barrels without the use of a barrel block.

I do not like bedding the full length of the barrel in the forend and do not use any pressure bedding.

Reason is if the forend moves at all, it will dramatically affect the tuning and POI of the barrel.

You might get away with this type of bedding if using a composite stock. I wouldn't even use it in a lam stock as they will move a bit. It only takes a few thou of movement and you are way out to lunch.

As usual, opinions differ but this is the method for me.

Jerry

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Jerry Teo ]

" The actions are fully bedded at the same time leaving action and stock stress free from the weight of the barrel."

This does not 'stress free' anything, it just moves the fulcrum slightly, and tranfers a small portion of the load into the first couple of inches of fore arm. The coefficient of thermal expansion is different for the steel than the stock, so the load changes as the temperature rises and falls. Bad IDEA.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.