Barometer on Android

breakshntr

Getting ready to set my Sig 2400 up and start verifying drops. Is the displayed barometric pressure on a smart phone corrected (I'm assuming so) or is it actually station pressure (un-corrected). In other words do I need to enter both the displayed barometric pressure, temperature, and elevation or do I just need to enter the barometric pressure (station pressure). Currently reading as much as I can to understand what I'm looking at and would like to get things right without to many hickups. Thanks a bunch.

That depends on the app you are using to show the pressure. Most smart phones have the hardware in the phone to actually measure the pressure so can give a very accurate station pressure. Simple way to to check cross check a weather report which will be corrected barometric to what you app is saying. Or if you live anywhere with much elevation and your app is showing lower than 29.00 inhg it is showing station pressure.

Just figured this out myself. Thanks. Looked into the settings on my Kyocera Brigidaire and I see that you can select pressure,inHg, mmHg, mb, and hPa. I have it set to Pressure should should be good to go. This is most likely why I was getting funky results here and there using the basic Horaday calculator when working up drops for my 264 this fall should have been leaving the elevation at 0 I believe. Just checked my smart phone against my Leica 1600B and when phone is set at inHG the are both reading with in a tenth of one an other. Phone when set at Pressure more or less has our elevation pegged to a T so I should be able to trust its "Pressure" reading for inputting data. Thank for helping clear this up.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.