barnes

rwk

I use the 210 grain TTSX in my 338 RUM. It has a higher BC than the 185 grainer and thus bucks the wind a tad better. This combination took down a nice 6X6 bull 2 years ago. The bull was 358 yards at a 21 degree down angle. He was double lunged with a broadside shot and went about 20 yards and pilled up. Having said all that either bullet will totally hammer an elk.

I have killed 6 bulls altogether with the ttsx with 180 grainers out of a 300 win mag, couldn't ask for a better bullet, every bull I killed with them if it didn't drop it in its tracks it didn't go more than 50 yards

RWK:

I would use at the least a 225 gr. Barnes TSX, so the rifle can be used to its full potential. Good luck.

The 185 TTSX will definitely work, but it is on the light end for a 338 win mag so like others have said you will not be utilizing the full potential of the win mags potential. With that said you will also reduce recoil quite a bit and the high velocity is where Barnes bullets really perform well.

My favorite Barnes bullet for the 338 win mag is the 210 TTSX.

RWK:

I would use a Barnes 225 gr. "TTSX". I loaded the Barnes .225 "X" for my cousin's .338 Win. Mag. using RL19 moving at 2,900 f/s. .75" 3 shot group at 100mm. These loads have killed 5 oryx in NM. The bullet busted through both shoulders and kept going. All the oryx died where they stood. Good luck.

yeah It will do it but you are only hurting yourself by not using the 210-225.. I shot a bear with the 210 last spring and it worked well. then a couple elk with the 225 and it was a hammer... the 225 seems somewhat light to me even but I think its a good match for the 338 win

Thanks folks, but i hope that i will not have to take long shots. Remember speed KILLS Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.