Barnes ttsx quality

Dusty

I bought a couple of boxes of 168gr ttsx to try out. After I loaded some, I noticed the blue tips are not centered in the bullet. Some more obvious than others. Are they all like this? I checked the other box that I had, and it was the same way.

If you look at the attached image, you can tell the way it reflects light around one half of the blue tip.

Attachments

• F87796C2-4EF6-426C-93E5-E823B2CC2542.jpeg
    F87796C2-4EF6-426C-93E5-E823B2CC2542.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
I've had good luck with the 55 grain .224 ttsx in my 22 nosler. Can't say I've ever noticed the tips being off center, but they're also considerably smaller. I don't think I'd notice a minute difference on such a tiny bullet.

Try shooting them. Many studies and tests have been done with deliberately deformed bullet tips using files and hammers etc to badly deform the bullets and they had zero effect upon accuracy. Damage to a bullets heel will really mess things up, but my guess is that the off center tips will not be noticed at the rifle range or when hunting.

I had a couple of boxes of Nosler Accubond bullets that had tips that had either broken off completely or were (somehow) partially cracked. I contacted Nosler and was told that they were "very old stock" and they replaced them for free. They did not want the old bullets back, so I set them aside for a while.

Eventually, I loaded a few of the defective bullets with the same load that was shooting well with 1st quality Accubonds. At 200yds, even the bullets with no tips fell right into the groups with good Accubond bullets. I was rather surprised to see that!

Load for a guy that is in love with Barnes. He couldn't buy any loaded factory ammo for a couple of years but was able to get a couple of boxes 120 TTTX. They shot horrible! I'd loaded for this rifle before and knew it was accurate. Checked diameter on the bands and some were.258, 259 ,262. Worst was a .257. Showed him the loaded rounds before I pulled them. He switched to Hammers. This was almost three years ago, they probably have it together now. This was a 6.5 CM!