Recovered Barnes TTSX

There are NO blacktail Deer in San Diego.

I dont mea to disrespect you sir but yes there are i can post many pics of my buddies deer they have taken, all in san diego...... all blacktail

Or a simple google search on your part for deer species in San Diego will show a Blacktail as the deer species

A simple search on your part on the DFG website will give you all of the subspecies of Deer in CA and give you there regions they are found in. Google search is flawed from top to bottom. I know what species deer I hunted there DO YOU? look it up before you post and you will find the info. just a FYI all of the premium X zones are pretty much in the central to northern part of the state that is where all the Highly desirable Blacktail Deer are.

A simple search on your part on the DFG website will give you all of the subspecies of Deer in CA and give you there regions they are found in. Google search is flawed from top to bottom. I know what species deer I hunted there DO YOU? look it up before you post and you will find the info. just a FYI all of the premium X zones are pretty much in the central to northern part of the state that is where all the Highly desirable Blacktail Deer are.

Yes there are blacktail throughout the entire state, D16 the zone i hunt and have been hunting has been a blackmail deer zone maxing out at about 0-120 lbs sir believe me i know my regs, my state, and the game i target.... if not blacktail, then what? defiantly not mule deer and defiantly not coues deer haha

Greyman, sorry if what I said wasn't very clear, but in a nutshell our LA deer aren't very big so it's like shooting thru 10'' of lung surrounded by 2 popsicle sticks(ribs) which I don't feel is enough for most bullets to initiate expansion, let alone the copper we are mandated to use. Again I try to avoid shoulders in an effort to save meat. On depredation hunts we almost exclusively use Lehigh Defense controlled chaos bullets. They come apart and take out the heart and lungs, all shots are less than 70 yards, and I haven't grouped well at longer ranges so I don't use them hunting. There are plenty of big deer in California, but not in my neighborhood.
Deer season here seems to end before the cold weather and rut really even gets here so I don't see the bruiser steroid looking deer like others states I've hunted late season.(except for the LA zone archery tag that goes to december 31).
Again these are my observations from hunting my local zones.

Greyman, sorry if what I said wasn't very clear, but in a nutshell our LA deer aren't very big so it's like shooting thru 10'' of lung surrounded by 2 popsicle sticks(ribs) which I don't feel is enough for most bullets to initiate expansion, let alone the copper we are mandated to use. Again I try to avoid shoulders in an effort to save meat. On depredation hunts we almost exclusively use Lehigh Defense controlled chaos bullets. They come apart and take out the heart and lungs, all shots are less than 70 yards, and I haven't grouped well at longer ranges so I don't use them hunting. There are plenty of big deer in California, but not in my neighborhood.
Deer season here seems to end before the cold weather and rut really even gets here so I don't see the bruiser steroid looking deer like others states I've hunted late season.(except for the LA zone archery tag that goes to december 31).
Again these are my observations from hunting my local zones.

Go on So Cal huntings website and cruise through some of the threads of Deer taken up in LA county and then try to tell me about small Deer, a lot of the Deer taken in LA that I have seen have been awesome.

GUIDE TO HUNTING DEER IN CALIFORNIA

Try this out.
Chapter one will give you everything you need.

Makes sense..... this document was also made in 2002 13 years ago....... like shane lindsey says theya are a hybrid deer species...... the southern mule deer and blackmail deer have very similar tail patterns according to that publishing

As far as i know i am hunting blacktail and according the the people i have come in contact with be it southerncalifornia hunting page or in the field think the majority agree theta D16 is a black tail deer hunt, but i can see where confusion could step in seeing the southern california mule deer and black tail..... more research and calls will be made on my art to local DFG to test there knowledge.

Go on So Cal huntings website and cruise through some of the threads of Deer taken up in LA county and then try to tell me about small Deer, a lot of the Deer taken in LA that I have seen have been awesome.

I agree, i have seen some stud bucks from LA area defiantly much bigger then the deer n San Diego by at least 50lbs

As well as D12 my buddy blasted a 5x4 last season weighed 170lbs !!!!! a total smoker muley

Just do a web search for Barnes bullet test, and scroll down. It shows Barnes, Nosler, and Berger from 100 and 1000 yards.

I shot these from my Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 6.5 Creedmoor at 100 yards and while gathering up my targets and cleaning up my trash i followed the skid marks from the bullets passing through the paper and found these little gems.

It's pretty hard to argue with evidence like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.