barnes ttsx or nosler partition

corey suir

Just got back from the range where i was trying to find a combo that my 300 win likes. after looking at the groupings i have 2 that are identical. the first one is 165gr ttsx over 66.5 grains of h4350 with federal gmm 215m primers shooting right at 1.1 inches. the other is 180 gr patitions over 70 grains of h4350 with federal gmm 215m primers. Both are at 3.350 oacl.99% of my hunting will be under 300 yards and for whitetail. Just wish i had a chrono to figure out the speed

If I was only shooting deer I see no reason to shoot anything heavier than a Barnes 130 gr in a 30 cal rifle. I have a hunting buddy who takes his elk each year with the Barnes 130gr in his 308. Most all shots are under 300yd.

Just got back from the range where i was trying to find a combo that my 300 win likes. after looking at the groupings i have 2 that are identical. the first one is 165gr ttsx over 66.5 grains of h4350 with federal gmm 215m primers shooting right at 1.1 inches. the other is 180 gr patitions over 70 grains of h4350 with federal gmm 215m primers. Both are at 3.350 oacl.99% of my hunting will be under 300 yards and for whitetail. Just wish i had a chrono to figure out the speed
I have had to make the same decision and chose the Nosler Partition. They are both good bullets and either one will do what you are asking. HOWEVER, my decision was based on the Partition never failing me in the last 45 years, as well as the Barnes are an absolute PIA because they copper barrels so badly. And no, it's not just my gun. I've tried Barnes in several of my rifles and heard reports from friends.

Yeah, shoot what you like. For LA deer, I be looking to a 165 grain gameking, I also wouldn't feel the need for max loads either.

i found that if i load for both the 165 ttsx and some 168 berger vld hunters that both shoot right at a half inch. decided to go with the 168 bergers that are going 3120 verse the 165 ttsx which is only going 2900

i found that if i load for both the 165 ttsx and some 168 berger vld hunters that both shoot right at a half inch. decided to go with the 168 bergers that are going 3120 verse the 165 ttsx which is only going 2900

I thought you said that you didn't have a chronograph;

Just wish i had a chrono to figure out the speed

so how do you know what speed those loads were hitting?

I have had to make the same decision and chose the Nosler Partition. They are both good bullets and either one will do what you are asking. HOWEVER, my decision was based on the Partition never failing me in the last 45 years, as well as the Barnes are an absolute PIA because they copper barrels so badly. And no, it's not just my gun. I've tried Barnes in several of my rifles and heard reports from friends.
Can't go wrong with either, but in MY guns both copper foul about the same. Certainly nothing Montana Extreme can't deal with in short order.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.