Barnes TTSX or Nosler Partition in 257 Wthby MAG ?

I recently got a new rifle a range certified (the old MOA) Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in 257 Weatherby Magnum. Actually my best friend and hunting buddy of 20 plus years and I bought one each with consecutive serial numbers. Kinda cool how that worked out its his pre retirement gift for when he retires this year.

So I reload and I cant decide if we should shoot the Barnes 100 grain TTSX bullet or the Nosler Partition in 100 or 115 grain bullets. In the Nosler I am edging towards the 115 grain due to its slightly high ballistic coefficient and they seem to slightly perform better on game reportedly due to the way partitions work when they strike game.

Any one use either? We both have several rifles in 30 cal but wanted something a little lighter in recoil as sadly we are getting older day by day lol. Plus we just wanted a new toy.

We mostly hunt whitetail deer and possibly some antelope is about all we get to hunt. I use a lot of Hornady and Seirra Bullets in most of my other rifles. I however read and talked with some folks who say they tried the ELD-x in 243 and now 257 with poor results meaning the animal was dead but their was no exit wounds and very little if any blood trials and the animals went way further than expected after the shot. SO I am looking for a good long range bullet that exits and the Nosler and Barnes bullets seem to be good from what I read.

My gun came from the factory being shot with weatherby ammo using the Barnes TTSX bullet in 80 grains. Its group was .67 sub MOA. I would like to shoot atleast a 100 grain of bullet even though some folks say with Barnes you can step down some in weight and get great results.

I will be using Hornady brass, Federal #215 GM primers and starting with H1000 to test them. Thanks for your time in reading this!!!!
I've done a lot of shooting with the Barnes ttsx factory 300 RUM loads to build up brass and they performed great and the Barnes brass reloads really good also.

Try Butch's Guns in New Mexico for your 110 gr Accubonds. Was the only place that actually had 30 Nosler Brass/Ammo this past summer. I tried everywhere. Nosler didn't even have em at the time. I had an Arizona Early Rifle Bull Tag, a new Rifle and limited Ammo to get it ready for the hunt. Try www.butchsreloading.com or call (505) 200-2294 Fast Shipping. Good prices too. And no, Butch pays me nothing. Just discovered them this past Summer. Good Luck. The 257 Wby is the original laser round!

My hunting/business partner uses the Accubond and Barnes factory loads in his two 257s. Zero problems with antelope, white tail or mule deer over several hunts. I've been reloading the Accubond for him.

If it were elk, I'd stick with the Accubond. Anything smaller you'll do fine with either option.

I can't answer the OP's question directly as I don't have experience with either. But, I did take a whitetail with one shot last year in Alberta ranged at 390 yards. I was using an Accubond 110 out of my Weatherby Mark V Accumark .257 WBY Magnum. It only went about 15 feet before piling up. I was happy with it's performance.

TTSX or TSX for Elk and moose if you are going to use the 257 Bee. For deer and antelope I prefer the Hornady 117 grain BTSP Interlock or SST Interlock. Good B.C. and opens up better at long distance, over 500 yards, and has more than enough penetration for the smaller game.

Last edited:
I run 115gr partitions and accubonds in my 25-06 95% of my shots on deer are bang flops. With the extra velocity you'll get from the wby I'd lean toward the partition or hornady SST the touch tougher bullet would be an asset on anything larger than deer. My caribou was killed about 200yd with the 115gr hornady sst it too was a bang flop.

I've only used two kinds of bullets in two different .257 Bees. The 115 partition and the then new 100 TSX. The partition was pure lightning on exotics. One Blackbuck was a tad over 375yds. A Black Hawaiian at 175, down. The 2nd was a 26" Douglas bbl Mark X with the 100TSX. I shot another Black Hawaiian at 50yds and the bullet hit sideways. This can happen up close with long bullets, they are still in what I call "yaw". Oh it killed him fine, ha. But I felt that bullet would be better for hogs/thicker skinned/heavier muscled critters. I would think the 110AB would be swell too.

I shot the 100 TTSX @ 3580 and 115 Berger HVLD @ 3450 in my .25-06AI. Both killed mule deer dead quick and in a hurry.

While I love reloading, I'd suggest trying the factory Weatherby 100gr TSX. I've used this in my Accumark - I get 1/2 MOA or less at 100 yards. That's great on paper, but the proof is in hunting....

While in Africa a few years back, I took both a 375 H&H and 257 Wby Mag (the Accumark). I shot one gemsbok with 375, but took all the rest of my critters with the 257. I shot everything from Duiker, Warthog, gemsbok, zebra, etc.... Some pretty big and tough animals - all were one shot kills with the 257 Weatherby Mag using the 100gr TSX. Ranges were from 25 yards, to 375 yards.

I do think the Barnes TSX bullet is one of the best bullets - solid, expands well, hits hard, penetrates well. I think you can not go wrong with this bullet. And then of course, bullet placement is critical too, so practice, practice, practice.

I use 100 gr tsx in my 257 wby. At right at 3550fps. Have only shot around 10 white tails with it so far . But these bullets do a great job . From 50 yds to 450. All have droped where they were standing .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.