Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Which is the better hunting bullet?

• Total voters
Barnes Is Discontinuing the MRX Bullets | Barnes Bullets
The reason the MRX was discontinued was because certain military uses bought all the production they had. I confirmed this at the plant where they were doing ballistic jell testing and the fragmentation was unbelievable. I asked what bullet that was? they said the MRX! I asked why? they discontinued it... Not really they were doing addl testing at subsonic velocities for their military account!!!!! (Id tell you but Id have to kill you stuff)

Here is the 50 cal BMG- it is the bullet used by the snipers.

Attachments

• 50 BMG.jpg
    50 BMG.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 28
Barnes Is Discontinuing the MRX Bullets | Barnes Bullets
The reason the MRX was discontinued was because certain military uses bought all the production they had. I confirmed this at the plant where they were doing ballistic jell testing and the fragmentation was unbelievable. I asked what bullet that was? they said the MRX! I asked why? they discontinued it... Not really they were doing addl testing at subsonic velocities for their military account!!!!! (Id tell you but Id have to kill you stuff)

Here is the 50 cal BMG- it is the bullet used by the snipers.
I was pretty sure the 50 BMG snipers use the 750 grain A-Max.... And i thought seal team six used the navy M855 62 grain 5.56 round to make the bin laden cocktail (two shots and a dash of water :D)

Excuse my ignorance :rolleyes: but what brand would that be? (i bet i am looking really stupid right about now).:rolleyes:

He's trying to tell you they used solids....and that somehow it is OK for you hunting bullets not to expand....

Though a solid by name the 556 round acts anything like a solid at close range...Try killing something with the 556 outside the fragmenting range.
.224 Pinholes do not kill humans half the time never mind a much tougher animal.

1/2inch bullets are the exception to that rule, but are not the bomb Hollywood has us believe.

I shoot alot of deer every year doing crop damage shooting. I have mixed feelings about tssx bullets. Ive had both excellent results with them and crappy. Ive come to beleive this after chasing wounded deer alot. Tssx bullets .30 cal and bigger doe an outstanding job on whitetail. Do they do any better then a cup and core bullet? nope. But the thing is in some of my guns there the hands down best shooting bullet so I use them. In calibers under .30 i stay away even if they do shoot best in a gun. Ive spent to many hours with chasing well hit deer using calibers like the 2506 .257 wby 264 mag ect. My guess is with the .30s there just more bullet mass or maybe because there bigger they do tend to expand more reliably. I catch flack all the time from guys who have shot one or two deer with them and had good luck. What ill tell you is shoot 10 or 20 deer with them and your going to chase proably a 1/4 of them even with good hits. Right now with the way they make these bullets you couldnt pay me to use another small bore barnes.

I haven't killed a lot of game with little X bullets (under 30 cal), but your comments surprise me.

The 223 is hardly a bear wrecking machine, but I killed a black bear with a 223 and a 55 grain TSX. At the shot it walked 15 yards then folded (standard black bear). The postmortem looked like somebody shoved a 2 inch pipe completely thru the bear...not a huge amount of damage, but a 2 inch pipe through the vitals is not survivable.

I would be interested to hear more of your comments on what regarded as failures

most shots pensiled through with very little damage compared to a conventional bullet. I chased deer up to a mile before finding them and that was with good hits. Most shots were on the long side though. 3-400 yards. Ive had just the oposite experiences with the .30 cal out of the 300win and 300 wby. With only one exception all have dropped on the spot. the one that didnt i guess ive chalked up to a freek deal. I hit the deer in the shoulder and that bullet didnt penetrate a bit. It actually tracked down the arm bone and came out at the first joint. Obviously some of the bullet came apart too as it tore the chest cavity up. Absoultely no exit or even damage on the off side shoulder. Deer ran in a 300 yard circle and fell dead. All i can figure in that case is it was a bad bullet. I even called barnes and talked to them about it. They didnt deny the possibility it was a bad bullet. But like i said you cant judge ANY bullet by one or two kills. to many things can happen. All i know about the barnes bullets is they tend to be almost match accurate in some of my guns. Sure a rare one doesnt like them but most shoot them better then anything. I wish i could trust the smaller bored ones as id use them in an instant if i could.

I have been shooting Nosler partitions for forty years now, in a variety of calibers ranging from 223 through the 458 lott. I just returned from Safari where the 260 gr partition in my 375 collected 12 animals that ranges from 10 yards to 300. Jackal, through springbok, to eland. I only managed to recover two bullets as the others gave complete broadside penetration on game as large 1600 pound Eland. The ones I recovered were point on shoulder shots on a big black wildebeest @ 120 yds, and a 52 inch "snapshot" kudu we stumbled across at under 20 yds. Both recovered bullets look like the photos we have all seen, resting under the far hide. When I say it really thumped them, I mean it.

That load, 75/N150/CCI250, consistently prints under an inch at 100, as does any good maximum load I've ever tried in a rifle that was capable that type of accuracy. when loaded with partitions. Or ballistic tips for that matter.

I believe the first pet load I had with Nosler partitions was when I was in college back in the 70s at the University of Wyoming, I took a pronghorn at 400 yards using 55 grains of H 4831 with the 115 partition in my M70 .25/06. That would be the longest shot I've ever taken at big game. That rifle was a consistent sub-inch shooter so loaded and there have been dozens in between.

The Nosler partition, along with its sister ballistic tip, have been the standard by which I judge the suitability of hunting rifles from the day I first stuffed one into a case. If it won't shoot Noster partitions it's time for me to use different rifle. We are talking hunting rifles here and I believe the partition design offers the optimal qualities of quick expansion and weight retention, usually good for about 30" of penetration, yet holding together in the event big bone is struck. Conversely, ballistic tips and other bullets of conventional design tend to come apart immediately upon striking the heavy spine or shoulder bone found in elk and moose, and there they stop.

The only "mainstream" bullet that compares to the partition designs on the big stuff is the Barnes' homogenous designs and its competitors I imagine. I honestly can't swear to that because I never use them, rarely having been successful actually making them shoot in the maybe half dozens rifles Ive tried them in, but I am referring to the older 'X' and its various attempts at blue coatings. Perhaps the TTSX bands have overcome this, I have a 300 RUM I just built that shoots the most recent Barnes very well, averaging slightly under 3/4" @ 100. It, along with the aforementioned .375 and my .280 Ackley will be in attendance on an upcoming African with the TSX in the spout(s) so I will be able to speak to that design better after that.

The African professional hunters really like the Barnes, my feeling is they don't open a fast or wide enough on smaller game but do penetrate well, the PH claims as well as solids on buffalo and prefers them over solids on such critters. I plan on giving them another go on an upcoming trek to Zimbabwe for this reason.

Another nice tendency of the partitions is that you can use the same bullet seating die setting when loading the plastic pointed Noslers in most cases as the ogives are identical. This is really handy when going on a combo mule deer/elk hunt. You can load up a batch of partitions for the big stuff and ballistic tips for deer and antelope, since they typically shoot to the same point of impact at a hundred yards as well.

(The only exception I found to this is the 375 version, AB/BTs have a longer ogive than the partitions and must be seated further out. This is actually a positive for the 260 partitions in most cases because it reduces the jump to the lands and often improves accuracy, albeit at the expense of the b.c., but still will give one a 300 yd point blank range with the 3" @ 100 yd sighting in an H&H).

On occasions I have found rifles that wouldn't shoot Noslers well. Those rifles never shot anything real well and were soon sold or rebarreled. I usually make it a practice not to get in the middle of these debates, but it has been my experience. If you are loading them properly, seating near the lands with maximum loads, they simply perform among the best for most hunting situations with quick expansion to the partition, leaving the shank to drive on through.

If you like to hand load and tinker you will love the Barnes since they change the design every couple of years, (usually for the better), and you get to work up new loads.

I see no smilie at the end of that statement. At 70 cents/bullet, working up a new load to find the sweet spot of accuracy and velocity due to an unannounced change in bullet shape is not something I enjoy doing often.

Well, I found the Barnes TSX a little harder to find the sweet spot for in terms of accuracy, but okay, I got there with them. Then just as I was about to go on a hunt, they changed the shape of the 130gr .277 TSX from a "secant" longer & more slender / pointed, to an "ogive", fatter stubbier. Lovely. This resulted in a different seating depth, different pressure (more!) and different impact point (& different group size?).

So I had to find a new accurate load pronto with the new shape TSX. This was not a great place to be in after ex[experimenting with 2 or 3 boxes of TSX! ($100 in bullets alone) After a few reloading sessions with adjustments to length and short trips to the range, I was pretty confident of sighting and impact point. So I went for the 2nd hunt and I nailed a 220 lb boar at about 160 yards with the 130 TSX loaded to about 2900 fps out of a 270win. He was moving along and slightly quartering away when I hit him. The shot just grazed the meat behind his near elbow causing some bloodshot meat and entered his ribcage just above and forward of his heart breaking a few ribs on the way in. He got knocked quarter wise away and ran for about 40' but then dropped dead, lights out. The bullet seemed to make a bigger entry wound with the cavitation than the exit wound. Going in, there was a big funnel hole, his hear was in tact but then took out the far lung completely and exited opposite forward ribcage leaving a 1" hole. But the strange thing is that I found a wound channel that seemed to terminate inside his far front lower shoulder/leg. I'm still mystified by that because it seemed like the bullet had taken a detour but there was no exit hole in that part of the leg/shoulder meat at all. Nevertheless, it powered through, caused a massive wound, exited, and did its job very well. I am really convinced that the 270/130TSX combo is ample for any pig or deer out to several hundred yards.

Absolutely-
I think we use bigger heavier bullets to make up for poor shooting skills and then call it "Ethics" when we cant make a shot!

Here are 2 pics
1. 243 target. The guys at Barnes agree; the 243 with the 85 gr TSX is the best all round combo there is. They all shoot it
2. here is an 80 yds shot with a broadhead at a 3" x
remember in old england they PRACTICED at 225 yds!!!!!

1. Good to hear I'm in good company with the Barnes folks. My 243 lead free load is the 85gr TSX, leaving the barrel @3200fps + backed by 38.0 Varget, GM210, OAL 2.675. I have not killed anything with it yet but they can cloverleaf @100, and keep 2" @ 300. Looking forward to deer season here in Cali, but may try it on a wild pig before then. (Just took one with 130gr .277 TSX.)

2. In olden times they simply rained arrows and other projectiles at the enemy. I doubt anyone could hit 6" circle at that distance other than on a completely breeze free day. There's a reason the Native Americans lost.

I voted Barnes tsx.

I have shot both on paper with great accuracy with both but on game, for me there is only one performer!

About 6 years ago now I was out elk hunting and got a beautiful shoot at a big cow. She was about 200 yards away in this big opening meadow on top of a mountain. I got down and sent a 225 gr nosler partition right into her lungs. She dropped like a ton of bricks then just right back up and took off like a bat out of hell across this meadow waiting for her to drop dead but into the thick timber she went. So I waited about a half hour to let her bleed out and then started after her. Went to the pot where she was hit with a big blood spray over the snow. I thought she won't be to far... Haha boy that wasn't the case!! Started following the blood trail but after maybe 500 yards I had to really look for the blood.. Kept following her tracks and came across one of the biggest bulls I've ever seen on public ground where they were legal with a general tag. As much as I hated to do it I did the ethical thing and kept after this cow. I tracked her for probably 2 - 2 1/2 miles before I got another shot. This time she was about 100 yards off and I put one right at the base of her neck and stoner her. Upon gutting her out my lung shot with the 225 gr partition was a tiny little pencil hole all the way through her and the holes had sealed up. The next year I took a bull at right around the same distance with the same exact shot placement with a 225 gr Barnes tsx and he dropped on the spot upon gutting him out everything inside was a mess!! And the bullet was lodged in the opposite size rib cage. That was the performance I was seeking not a tiny pencil hole clean through. Ill post pictures of the bullet tomorrow.

Anyways definite +1 for the tsx!!

500 Mag; Im with you. Controlled expansion with 90+% weight retension. Thats what I look for and the reason im a barnes guy.lightbulb

I love them!! They are an amazing piece of work! With the same breath I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the Berger bullets. Although they may not retain weight like the Barnes bullets they do dump all of there energy into the animal 3-5 inches in, destroying all vital organs!! Ill post pictures now..

500 Mag; Im with you. Controlled expansion with 90+% weight retension. Thats what I look for and the reason im a barnes guy.lightbulb

This is the 225 gr nosler partition I recovered out of the cow that was hit twice. this is the kill shot in the neck it broke the spine and then shot down into the shoulder where it was recovered. Very little damage through the neck and shoulder area!!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.