Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Which is the better hunting bullet?

• Total voters
a partition is never a mistake. It works well on larger and and small game. At medium velocitys and high velocitys. A barnes is a good bullet but its much more critical to match it with the right velocity at the range your shooting and the right size game animal. To slow or to small of an animal and they pensil right through with not enough expansion. Where the barnes bullets shine is when using a cartridge thats a bit marginal for the size of the game your trying to kill. Like shooting elk with a 2506 or big bear with an o6. But use the right gun for the job like a 7mag or 300 mag for elk or a 300 or 338 for big bear and NO premium bullet is really needed. A good old cup and core bullet has got it done for years and will continue to long after im in the ground.

I have used the barnes tsx for years and now use the ttsx in my .308 and lrx in 300 rum. I have always had good luck with accuracy with these, but could never get the noslers to shoot good for me. I know some guys swear by the noslers, but i will stick with the barnes. I have had good kills as well, but have never shot anything past 300yds yet with these. I want to, but when stuff steps out closer, you take what is given.

JUST wanted to be 100.!!! I guess after reading one hundred replies to a thread it come down to this...YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EITHER!!!!!

As a died in the wool Nosler fan for over 40 years and having never had even one bullet fail to kill game reliably, and after reading about hunting in forums since Al Gore invented the internet I'd have to say that Nosler bullets are the standard that every other hunting bullet is compared to and they richly deserve that reputation.

Barnes hasn't experienced nearly that kind of long term reputation and they lost me when I had a few X Bullets fail to open in media and two hogs I shot. I dropped them like a hot potato and never looked back but in fairness to Barnes they've apparently made some huge strides forward since the much loved and hated X Bullet debut. I still have not so fond memories of trying to get all the copper out of my barrels too... LOL

I always laugh when the Barnes guys start comparing recovered bullet weights. That was the foundation of Barnes's original advertizing and while it is certainly true that they retain their weight better than a Partition, they don't necessarily kill game better from what I read. I guess if I ever start recycling bullets I'll be more concerned about retained weight.

Four years ago I switched from Partitions to Accubonds to take advantage of the superior BC and (in my experience) better accuracy they afforded and have only killed about 6 deer and two hogs with them with nothing but perfect terminal performance. I finally recovered my first Nosler bullet and I was thrilled. I shot a doe at 188 yards with a 140gr Accubond out of a 7SAUM and she was quartering to me and it entered just behind the near front shoulder and ranged through about 40" of meat and bone and was found under the hide on the off side ham. Perfect mushroom and I've been showing that bullet off ever since because I'd never recovered one from game before.

Nosler bullets kill game reliably and with boring consistency which is what they're designed to do. You also don't have to do load development all over again every couple of years as they keep discontinuing bullets and replacing them with "new and improved" bullets.

I didn't vote because of my somewhat limited exposure to Barnes but I'll say that Partitions have never let me down in over 100 kills and that's the best recommendation I can give any bullet and so far it looks like Accubonds will easily maintain that tradition and provide better accuracy and BC and I love the plastic tips that don't deform under heavy recoil in my magazines.

It's the opinion of the people who produced it, Nosler.

It is recommended only for light to medium game, not large game, not dangerous game.

The information is on their website.

As far as deer goes, well they are considered to medium sized thin skinned game so they are well within what the bullet is designed for.

Elk and Moose are not.

Quite simply.... Look about half way down the page in the right hand column under the red letters saying "Game Recommendations"
Accubond - Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, Reloading Data, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, Load Data

Nuff' said...

$bob$

The partition is the original premium bullet, even other bullet manufactures have duplicated the design due to it being so effective in its time. BUT it does have a tendency to pencil hole right through game. I do believe Nosler made it obsolete with the accubond. The BC for the partition is less than adequate. The Barnes is a clear winner with the LRX and TTSX. which are one in the same. I thought this was a long range hunting forum. Why are we even comparing a non boat tail to a boat tail?

I don't know where you get the information that Partitions sometimes pencil through. I've never heard of that except from a few Barnes people that have never really used them.

I've killed over 40 Florida whitetails with them with perfect results every single time and numerous coyotes, hogs, and even a few groundhogs and they always leave a large exit hole and wreck internals decisively obviating the fact that they open up quite easily and the base stays together all the way through the animal even on elk and bears.

I have moved on to the AccuBond bullets in search of more accuracy and better BC but have never once seen a Partition fail to open completely and wreck internals like they're designed to do.

I don't know where you get the information that Partitions sometimes pencil through. I've never heard of that except from a few Barnes people that have never really used them.

I've killed over 40 Florida whitetails with them with perfect results every single time and numerous coyotes, hogs, and even a few groundhogs and they always leave a large exit hole and wreck internals decisively obviating the fact that they open up quite easily and the base stays together all the way through the animal even on elk and bears.

I have moved on to the AccuBond bullets in search of more accuracy and better BC but have never once seen a Partition fail to open completely and wreck internals like they're designed to do.

I think the term pencil is a bit misleading.

I shot a bison 8 times with partitions.
What I discovered while gutting the animal was the bullet front core was blowing off in the thick fur and that I killed the animal with wadcutter sized holes through the heart and lungs. A process that took some some time.
I saw the same thing on a wet grizzy.
Wet bear fur is tough on bullets.

It doesn't happen often, but it can and does happen.

What I discovered while gutting the animal was the bullet front core was blowing off in the thick fur and that I killed the animal with wadcutter sized holes through the heart and lungs. A process that took some some time.

I guess that's what happens when you compare internal ballistics on White Tail deer vs Bison & Griz :cool: For a deer bullet, there's nothing wrong with a partition. Or even bigger game with the older cartridges the Partition was designed to withstand.

t

go back to page 11 and start reading through this thread again . I was told when a barnes petals break off it's no big deal , caliber size is ok .this was on a 130 pound whitetail .

I really think if the partitions had a cool looking plastic tip it would have received more votes . these bullets just look to old school . :D

I guess that's what happens when you compare internal ballistics on White Tail deer vs Bison & Griz :cool: For a deer bullet, there's nothing wrong with a partition. Or even bigger game with the older cartridges the Partition was designed to withstand.

t

True that man, but I figured you might as well have the whole picture.

TTSX would have cured that.

I'm not from Missouri but I'd have to see that to believe it..I've never seen a partition separate and I've shot many bears in the 400 + range that were soaking wet from being driven in snow and rain and never saw a partition fail..right on through and out..no problems whatsoever..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.