Barnes LRX in 6.5 SAUM

Skeeter05

I am currently shooting the Berger 140 hunting bullet and they have done well for me espically at extended ranges. But unless I travel out west (once a year) most of my shots are 300 yards and under. I have shot several whitetail and hogs under 150 yards with the Berger and they have killed, however several didn't exit, and one in particular I almost lost due to lack of blood trail. So I am looking at mostly shooting the LRX around the house. I have had great results with the TTSX in the past with various calibers, they have always made a complete pass-thru.

So the for the questions:

How does the 127 LRX perform at 300 yards?

Does anyone have a starting load for the LRX and H1000 in the GAP 4S?

We've killed a moose with the 127LRX from a 260 Rem, so it should work out of a SAUM. 140gr Nosler Accubond is another good big game bullet, whacked one through a moose this fall from a 6.5PRC. Great performance

I am currently shooting the Berger 140 hunting bullet and they have done well for me espically at extended ranges. But unless I travel out west (once a year) most of my shots are 300 yards and under. I have shot several whitetail and hogs under 150 yards with the Berger and they have killed, however several didn't exit, and one in particular I almost lost due to lack of blood trail. So I am looking at mostly shooting the LRX around the house. I have had great results with the TTSX in the past with various calibers, they have always made a complete pass-thru.

So the for the questions:

How does the 127 LRX perform at 300 yards?

Does anyone have a starting load for the LRX and H1000 in the GAP 4S?

I've shot a few of the LRK is my .260's and 6.5LRM at deer and hogs with very acceptable results. So far no penciling through and no softball or bigger sized exits on either but no bullets recovered to examine.

Not my favorite bullet but they do seem to perform as designed and I didn't have any real difficulty tuning loads for either caliber.

I'm running RL23 in the .260's and RL33 in the 6.5LRM.

A bullet that doesn't exit has imparted all of its energy into the animal. Within reason and at short to mid ranges, with proper shot placement, usually this means the bullet has fragmented and created multiple wound channels. To me, those are GOOD things, and often make the existence of a blood trail irrelevant. I would even go so far as to say that a fragmenting bullet can often up your odds of success on a less than optimum shot, more than a solid core bullet. I have seen it happen. But I know others may disagree, and I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the reply's!!

I'll take a look at the Hammers as well I may try some out on some hogs this summer before I shoot a deer with one.

Has anyone shot the LRX at extended ranges? Barnes advertises that the bull will still "mushroom" @ 1600 FPS.

I guess it is all about preference, I have shot Barnes for several years and I like the terminal performance. If you have a shot that is placed further back into the lungs then the deer will run a bit and with the Barnes they have two holes for the blood to exit. The Berger do exactly what they are designed to do as well, but for me I want a pass through.

Ive shot the LRX quite a bit...lowest impact velocity was approx 1800 fps. That was with a 200 lrx out of an '06 at 468 yds. Hit the heavy bone at the bottom of the shoulder blade...sheared both leg bones completely off in the same spot...nothing but pudding in between.
Have not shot the 127 lrx yet, but have shot dozens of animals with the 129 lrx....moose, elk, muleys, bears...very reliable predictable performance.
I have always used a combination of 100-200 fps over manufacturers claims, coupled with minimum 1000 ft lbs to determine my max range, and have never seen any evidence of the dreaded "penciled through".
Of the 150 or so elk, moose, deer, bear, african game, NZ game etc my hunting pals and i have taken with tsx, ttsx, lrx....i can only recall recovering 3 or 4 bullets....you'll almost always get the 2 holes your lookin for...no matter what bone is encountered.

Chris

Ive shot the LRX quite a bit...lowest impact velocity was approx 1800 fps. That was with a 200 lrx out of an '06 at 468 yds. Hit the heavy bone at the bottom of the shoulder blade...sheared both leg bones completely off in the same spot...nothing but pudding in between.
Have not shot the 127 lrx yet, but have shot dozens of animals with the 129 lrx....moose, elk, muleys, bears...very reliable predictable performance.
I have always used a combination of 100-200 fps over manufacturers claims, coupled with minimum 1000 ft lbs to determine my max range, and have never seen any evidence of the dreaded "penciled through".
Of the 150 or so elk, moose, deer, bear, african game, NZ game etc my hunting pals and i have taken with tsx, ttsx, lrx....i can only recall recovering 3 or 4 bullets....you'll almost always get the 2 holes your lookin for...no matter what bone is encountered.

Chris

Awesome!! That's what I was hoping to hear. I have only recovered one TTSX from a deer that was facing away. Looking at my drop chart I should be good all the way out to 1000 with my rifle. I will be ordering some today.

Skeeter05,
I caught a TTSX .270 110 grainer. I shot a deer going up a steep bank 239 yards away. I aimed behind the diaphragm at its back. The bullet went right through the heart and stopped after 23" of penetration against the hide in front of the sternum. The only weight it lost was the plastic tip.

So I did a little load development this weekend and I have to say the LRX shoots very good out of my rifle.

Attachments

• 90D7D40F-4D57-4F9B-84A5-85C8B85BB88D.jpeg
    90D7D40F-4D57-4F9B-84A5-85C8B85BB88D.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 509
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.