Barnes 145 LRX vs 162 ELDX

LaVec

Can anyone share their experience with the terminal performance of the ELDX on mule deer or elk? I am interested in the 162 ELDX due to its SD and BC. I am very familiar with and trust the Barnes. Just trying to learn about the ELDX. Planning to be capable out to 600 yds. Thanks in advance for any help. Weatherby Accumark 7 STW 1 in 10 twist.

Killed 4 elk & 2 deer with the 200 grain ELDX. No exits on all 6. Distances from 100-650 yards. no blood trails-we had a heck of a time finding a couple of them due to the thick brush and steep terrain we hunt in.

Went to Barnes and have full pass through's and good blood trails.

While the animals didn't make it far with the ELDX line I prefer a good blood trail in case tracking is needed.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the ELDX. I just spoke to a rep at Hornady. He was honest enough to say that the bullet is designed to be very accurate out to long hunting distances. IF...you make a broadside shot into the chest, it will perform well. If you will need anything else but the broadside boiler room shot in elk sized game, IT IS NOT THE RIGHT CHOICE. Just thought I'd share this.Looks like I'll decide between the 160 TSX and the 145 LRX. If anyone cares to share thoughts on these two Barne's choices, please do so. Thanks!!

I shot a smaller young Oklahoma whitetail buck with the H162ELDX at 72 yards a couple of years ago. Bullet impacted the point of the near shoulder, exiting behind the offside shoulder with a quarter size exit. Entrance was caliber diameter. Deer dropped at the shot.

Used my Remington XP-100 7mm RSAUM for that deer.

While not an elk or mule deer, the bullet didn't blowup and performed quite well in my opinion.

I've shot Barnes for twenty years. Go with the 145 l r x it will stabilize better with the twist you have. Will also work at longer range due to the higher muzzle velocity and b c
Thanks jlreff. I keep mulling over the fact that despite slightly slower speed, the heavier bullet should penetrate deeper. But...I also know that speed kills! Looks like my rifle really likes the 145 LRX besides! Thanks again for sharing!

You also have to consider twist right. If you're worried about penetration you don't need to be. My client used my 30-06 with a 165 Barnes to take a bull elk. Bullet went in on a hard quartering away angle. Took two ribs front of paunch Bach of liver middle of off lung three ribs and back of shoulder on exit. Needless to say he didn't go far. So you don't need to worry about bullet weight with mono bullets as much as with cup and core bullets.

your 1:10 twist will affect your choice---with the stw and some altitude I would look at this one https://hammerbullets.com/product/284-cal-143g-hammer-hunter-2/ (then contact Steve to make shure he thinks it will stabilize for you)

if you are not sure, then this one will work for you with the 1:10 twist for sure https://hammerbullets.com/product/284-cal-133g-hammer-hunter/

either one should be a laser in the stw for sure

if you want slightly heavier and BC doent bother you then he has the 150 sledge series too https://hammerbullets.com/product/284-cal-150-sledge-hammer/

any of those 3 should be fine for hunting out to 600 in the stw for sure

If you will have nice broadside shots, the 162 ELD-x is a good bullet on either. Have shot them out of 7mm STW and 280 AI. My preference though is the 145 and 139 Barnes though. You give up BC, but better penetration on bad angles. I use them in my 280 AI as my main elk bullet in that gun.

the 145 lrx is a no brainer for me over the 160 tsx, higher start velocity coupled with a higher BC to carry that velocity farther, and the 145 lrx will function properly at 200 fps lower impact speed than the 160 tsx. the LRX just plain kill stuff dead!

I have limited experience with the ELDX, only from my granddaughter's 6.5 Creed (not my preference). The test was merely the much "discredited" water jug test.....I was "NOT" impressed. "Maybe" for small deer or Antelope, but certainly "not" for elk.....unless the perfect, behind the shoulder shot is taken! My personal opinion......"it ain't no elk bullet"! memtb

Just chiming in again.Working up loads for the 145 LRX. Groups were poor with 80.5 and 80.7grns of IMR 7828. Groups were amazing with 81 grains. I then loaded 81.3 and 81.6, scattered groups. But... at 81.9 and 82.2, groups are again amazing. I'm tempted to keep climbing but if accuracy good enough at 82.2, I should probably stop there to help my rifle's throat. Next, I'll try that load at 300 yds.Anyone see something wrong with my thinking, please chime in.My Elk hunt is in November.

Both me and my buddy were shooting factory Hornaday ELDX ammo, mine was 200 grain in 300 WSM and his was 162 grain in 7mm mag. He shot his bull at 70 yards. It stumbled about 50 yards and piled up. Broke a rib on entry, jellied the lungs, no exit. I shot mine at 140 yards. Lunged forward 20 yards and tipped over. No bone contact on entry, ripped open the top of the heart, and shredded the front of the lungs. I didn't notice any exit and don't think there was one but we were working in the dark and I could have overlooked it. Neither of us recovered a bullet but there was a lot a innards to hide it. We were both happy with performance as well as accuracy out of our rifles. Hate to hear your results were different.