Ballistics Calculator / Rangefinder / Binocular Questions and Product Summary

treillw

Hello,

I'm debating what rangefinder / ballistics calculator / binocular to purchase. I do not currently have any of these items, so it would be nice to buy one unit that would accomplish all these tasks, with I'm sure one monumental price. The primary use of this equipment will be for hunting, so speed and efficiency is of the utmost importance, as well as the accuracy of the solutions. I would also like to be able to use the equipment for fun at the range beyond distances which my .300 win mag will be effective on game. I have accurate drop data for my rifle from 100 to 1000 yards, with a corresponding air density.

I have done a lot of research on the various products which are on the market. None of them are exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm not sure what I should do. I need something for hunting season this fall, but don't want to buy something that I'm not happy with. Below is a summary of my thoughts.

My ideal product: A high quality binocular with built in rangefinder and ballistics program. Allows you to enter your rifles specific drop data for accurate elevations calculations. Allows for quick wind correction calculations.

Option 1: Leica Geovid HD-B Binoculars – In theory, they are everything that I am looking for, but they have some drawbacks.

Pros:
• Single Unit
• Quick

Cons:
• You cannot enter your actual drop data into your custom ballistics profile. Ie) it still calculates the drop based on a best fit curve generated by muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient.
• I don't believe it calculates for wind, so a separate device is needed anyway – this pretty much eliminates them as an option, as I would need a Kestrel/similar device anyway.
• Will only calculate ballistics to 1000 yards – I'd like to play beyond that for fun.
• Output is in clicks, instead of MOA or MILS.

Question:
• How accurate is the said generated custom ballistics profile? Can you adjust your velocity and/or ballistics coefficient to get the drops accurate for most yardages?

Option 2: Kestrel and Bushnell Conx Rangefinder

Pros:
• Some of the best elevation and wind calcs available, to my knowledge

Cons:
• I would still want a good pair of binoculars - $$$
• Can't use the Kestrel on a tripod to get wind readings since you must enter in a direction of fire. It would be awesome if the rangefinder communicated this information to the Kestrel – seems like a reasonable task and a good update for future range finders.
• I wish there would be more rangefinders with Bluetooth – this option would be a lot more enticing if I could use a pair of Swarovski binoculars with it.
• The process of the Kestrel capturing all the data it needs to crunch numbers seems a little cumbersome.
• Requires 3 devices – Kestrel, binoculars, and rangefinder

Option 3: Gunwerks G7 BR2

Pros:
• Quick elevation and wind calcs

Cons:
• It's not a binocular. I have heard rumors, but they are supposedly years away from the market.
• Requires 3 devices – wind meter, binoculars, and rangefinder

Option 4: Wait -

Pros:
• I can get the latest technology which hopefully eliminates some of the cons mentioned above.
• I have heard of betting devices on the way

Cons:
• I need a ranger finder as a minimum for this season and will have to mark yardages on my turret. I could calculate corrections on the computer at home based on where I anticipate hunting.
• I could use a cell phone and a basic Kestrel, but it would be hard to keep my phone charged – especially on multiday hunts.
• I would have to use my $100 pair of binoculars this season.

Writing all this out really helps me think through things! Making this thread was helpful just from that standpoint. If you know of any other products, or have any further insight on my dilemma, please chime in. I also hope this helps somebody else who is trying to make this decision in the future! Thanks for your advice!

Sigh has a new one. Kilo 2400. It is same range finder as the Kilo 2000 plus built-in applied ballistics. Bluetooth on it also.

I played with one at a show at an outdoor range a month ago. Push the button and it cycles through the display of range, drop and I think one other piece of info.

It is not 100% what you are looking for as it would not be a good bino replacement. But it fits the rest of the bill.

Sigh has a new one. Kilo 2400. It is same range finder as the Kilo 2000 plus built-in applied ballistics. Bluetooth on it also.

I played with one at a show at an outdoor range a month ago. Push the button and it cycles through the display of range, drop and I think one other piece of info.

It is not 100% what you are looking for as it would not be a good bino replacement. But it fits the rest of the bill.

Good to know, thanks! It doesn't appear to be available yet. Know anything about an estimated release date?

Sorry I failed to ask about that or the price point. Mainly because I'm cheap and the 490 for the kilo 2000 is as much as I am willing to spend on a range finder right now and I am sure the 2400 will be at least 100 more if not 3 or 4. Which would, admittedly, is still be a pretty darned good price for that much good tech.

From a practical standpoint I have found that a ranging binocular is awkward to range with in practice. Frequently, from a prone position, it is necessary to take multiple ranges on a moving animal before a shot is taken. At this point, when on game I toggle between my rifle scope, and rangefinder while in prone position, I personally find a binocular difficult to position while prone on the rifle, My G7 can be easily braced against the scope or rifle and held rock steady, While I frequently will take a range while glassing, I separate glassing from shot preparation. Just my preference. My G7 has proven to be the most effective approach for me for ranging and ballistics calculations with success on game to 1200 yards. The G7 also has a wind calculation feature that works nicely once the wind condition is determined. Speed is important to me and the G7 works well for the skittish white tails that are my primary quarry. They are always moving, and give little time for a good shot.

From a practical standpoint I have found that a ranging binocular is awkward to range with in practice. Frequently, from a prone position, it is necessary to take multiple ranges on a moving animal before a shot is taken. At this point, when on game I toggle between my rifle scope, and rangefinder while in prone position, I personally find a binocular difficult to position while prone on the rifle, My G7 can be easily braced against the scope or rifle and held rock steady, While I frequently will take a range while glassing, I separate glassing from shot preparation. Just my preference. My G7 has proven to be the most effective approach for me for ranging and ballistics calculations with success on game to 1200 yards. The G7 also has a wind calculation feature that works nicely once the wind condition is determined. Speed is important to me and the G7 works well for the skittish white tails that are my primary quarry. They are always moving, and give little time for a good shot.

^^^^^^^ I love my G7 also! I would buy one of these again no questions asked.lightbulb

^^^^^^^ I love my G7 also! I would buy one of these again no questions asked.lightbulb

I agree that they are very cool, but if you read around on the forum you might find a place where even Aaron Davidson said that the binos would be an improvement over the BR2. :D

I think you have the Pros and Cons pretty well lined out. Currently, I am not aware of any one single piece of kit that will do it all. Maybe someday. And when it does come out, the manufacturer will probably not get everything right the first time. There will be improved versions that come out later. That's a lot of hunting seasons from now.

I understand your hesitation completely. We work hard for our money and want to make the best choices possible within our budget. But do not lose sight of the journey as well. There is value in reminding ourselves how we got here... how we used to do it 'old school' (which was just a few years ago). I own a G7 BR2 (second edition). I love it. But when I am teaching new shooters how to stretch the legs of their rifles, I still have them range the target and then enter all the variables into my "Shooter" app to come up with a firing solution. Only after they are competent with Shooter do I show them the other function of the BR2 which spits out the firing solution for them. I want them to understand all the variables that go into the BR2 solution and not simply take it for granted. Technology sometimes fails.

Buy the best you can afford right now and start using it. It will help you form your own opinions on likes/dislikes and what is useful vs. necessary. It will also help further ingrain the entire process in your mind. By the time something better comes along in a few more years, you will probably find that you are making more money and can now afford to upgrade. Best of luck to you in whatever you purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.