Best ballistics calculator device

Byouboy

I'm going on a combined mule deer and antelope hunt in Wyoming. I've been practicing longer range shots (600-800 yards), and have always used the ballistics AE app on my iPhone. Now I'm wondering if I should upgrade my capabilities by buying a Kestrel 4500 or even going whole hog and buying the Gunwerks rangefinder. (i use my SWAROVSKI EL binocs for range finding ). What's the best tool for the job? I want accurate dope, but don't want to carry around tons of equipment, or spend a lot of time doing calculations. Don't want to waste money, but don't mind spending the cash to get the job done. I'll be shooting a 6.5 x 284 and a .300 Win Mag.
Byouboy

I use the Ballistic AE on an ipod touch, a leica range finder and a wind meter. Farthest shot on game so far is 1280 on a mulie.

Steve

I have been using a G7 RF for the last few years with good success and no fuss with all the extra devices. The greatest benefit is time to get doped, expspecially with jumpy whitetails. I always have the identical programs, using Shooter on my IPhone with me which matches the G7 outputs, but I have never required it as a backup.

I have been using a G7 RF for the last few years with good success and no fuss with all the extra devices. The greatest benefit is time to get doped, expspecially with jumpy whitetails. I always have the identical programs, using Shooter on my IPhone with me which matches the G7 outputs, but I have never required it as a backup.
Very helpful perspective Greyfox- you see a big buck, and you want to get dialed in as quickly as possible with minimum fuss! My question for you is ease of use - is the G7 as easy to master as your iPhone app? And do you use a Kestrel or similar device to get your wind readings. Sorry about all the questions, but given the cost of equipment I just want to get this right!

The Kestrel gives you everything, including wind, except range and angle. I get and enter these from my Leica 1600. The g7 is faster if you do not need to allow for wind. The Kestrel is military approved and is more precise if you are shooting over 1000. It also has a size advantage. It is light weight and will fit in your pocket.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.