Ballistic Turret vs Hold Over Lines

Both have thier place.
I have been using the reticle in comp shooting where time is a factor. It is pretty nice to get follow ups at different ranges. If I had time to dial, I would much rather dial.
The main thing is, make sure the turrets are consistent and repeatable. If not, the a FFP reticle is the best option. But honestly, I wouldn't own a scope I couldn't track the turrets and map exactly what they do when dialed..

I think it's pretty important here to differentiate what we're talking about here with "hold over lines." There's a FFP Mil/Moa based reticles, and then there's generic BDC reticles. Big difference in effectiveness and usefulness between those two.

IMO, you're not setting yourself up for an ethical long range shot on an animal (400+ yards) unless you're talking in terms of Mil/Moa, and understanding the effect environmental and atmospheric conditions have on your dope. Elevation, density altitude, etc all change your POI and have to be accounted for. This effect obviously becomes more exaggerated the further out you go. Using a generic BDC reticle is only effective at certain range limits. You can't always count on the drop at a certain line being the same. It's up to each individual as an ethical hunter to understand these margins of error associated with using this type of reticle, and know the limitations.

Last edited:
If you don't have a full understanding of where your bullet is going to land at the distance you're shooting under the conditions at the time, you're not being an ethical hunter no matter what your philosophy about life is.

If you don't have a full understanding of where your bullet is going to land at the distance you're shooting under the conditions at the time, you're not being an ethical hunter no matter what your philosophy about life is.

That's your philosophy. And there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm deciding on the Ballistic Turret vs Hold Over Lines on a Z6.

My thoughts are if I have 10 seconds to make a shot, and my heart is pounding out of my chest, I'm not playing with a ballistic turret. I'd rather compensate with the hold over lines .

What are your thoughts ?
I want both. Holdover lines for quick shots and a dial/caliper turrets for when I have time to get everything right.

10 seconds?! Hold over.
But learning dial will help you gain better understanding of how much a bullet can drop. Def. helped me with my hold over.

I am bringing this to the top rather than to start a new thread. Found this discussion using the search and it's a very good read.

Right now I am making the same decision about a new scope. I have never hunted with a dial-a-range, but I have shot with them at the gun range and can certainly feel the advantage . . . all of your concentration goes into the center cross.

For my price range, I like the Z5 for the visibility in poor light. Unfortunately Swaro does not make both dial-a-range and hold-over lines in one scope. WHY?!? Why can't they offer it with both?

Here's a rather common scenario for me (different than the 10 second decision) - I spot my animal, stalk in a ways and find a good setup. While setting up, animal's moving away, stopping, moving away, etc. Spotter is calling out ranges. Sometimes you only have a few seconds of broadside to hold and squeeze. I can't see myself looking up, dialing in, then acquiring target again, especially in high magnification.

For me, 600 yds is absolute max for hunting right now, and the situation would have to be near perfect for that. I frequently find myself in 350-500 yard situations.

So I think I'm leaning toward the bullet drop reticle Z5, or switching brands and giving up the lowest-light advantage and find a maker with both on one scope.

I'm just posting and bringing this to the top to see if anyone has more experiences or comments . . .

Last edited:
Dial for target.
Hold over for hunting.
(I do know dial ups when time allows). But like you said 10 seconds.
Know your lines.

Lines maybe alright for upto 500 but after that Ballistic turret every time.
Heres an example why, the difference between 890 yards and 830 yards for my 6.5x300 WSM is 18" use a line in a scope for that.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.