Ballastic Calculator or App?

Been using JBM on line program for years. I have gotten outputs that were correct (enough?) use the dial up values and wind drift to shoot out to 500M with certainty and repeatability.

Recently got the Ballistics AE app on my phone. There were some discrepancies between the two programs.

Ballistics AE requires more input data. One I missed was correction for a scope using MOA. The default setting is 1 for elevation and windage. It requires "trueing" of the scope's performance. I would have thought the default setting would be what a true MOA scope would do which is 1.047". You must input 1.047 for a more accurate output. Doing that helped align the two programs.

The wind configuration is a very different manipulation when compared to the internet JBM and allows for all sorts of inputs.

Another input called spin and stability must be done. Need to know bullet length as well as barrel twist rate.

While Coriolis input is there I have not tried to input my location.

Still getting some discrepancies between JBM and Ballistics AE with wind drift and drops/comeups but at least the values are close to one another after figuring out some of the more complicated inputs. Once past around 600 yds the two programs diverge slightly in comeups. Drift with begins to diverge at just past 200 yds.

I might still be missing some details not sure. Anyone find anything that would true up the two programs?

Having the ability to manipulate the inputs in the field in areas where you cannot get internet connection is great. I coues wt hunt in a variety of elevations so there are three elevations in the Ballistics AE favorites for my rifle.

I have not had a chance to try the Ballistics AE at my long distance range yet. Quite frankly when shooting out to 500m the differences are so small that I probably won't notice the difference.

Anyone else notice variations between the two programs?
Been using JBM on line program for years. I have gotten outputs that were correct (enough?) use the dial up values and wind drift to shoot out to 500M with certainty and repeatability.

Recently got the Ballistics AE app on my phone. There were some discrepancies between the two programs.

Ballistics AE requires more input data. One I missed was correction for a scope using MOA. The default setting is 1 for elevation and windage. It requires "trueing" of the scope's performance. I would have thought the default setting would be what a true MOA scope would do which is 1.047". You must input 1.047 for a more accurate output. Doing that helped align the two programs.

The wind configuration is a very different manipulation when compared to the internet JBM and allows for all sorts of inputs.

Another input called spin and stability must be done. Need to know bullet length as well as barrel twist rate.

Still getting some discrepancies between JBM and Ballistics AE with wind drift and drops/comeups but at least the values are close to one another after figuring out some of the more complicated inputs. Once past around 600 yds the two programs diverge slightly in comeups. Drift with begins to diverge at just past 200 yds.

I might still be missing some details not sure. Anyone find anything that would true up the two programs?

Having the ability to manipulate the inputs in the field in areas where you cannot get internet connection is great. I coues wt hunt in a variety of elevations so there are three elevations in the Ballistics AE favorites for my rifle.

I have not had a chance to try the Ballistics AE at my long distance range yet. Quite frankly when shooting out to 500m the differences are so small that I probably won't notice the difference.

yes the kestrel needs a lot of info and but when you input is all spot on the out put will be spot on also you must true it at the range that is for your round and spped when trued + = at the right range your out put will be spot on also you can inter face with your lap top for recording all info it will even do teps and will put out clicks for different temp you are shooting at with the powder being used for that round alone with storing up to 10+guns and rounds

Recently got the Ballistics AE app on my phone. There were some discrepancies between the two programs.......

Having used Ballistic AE, Shooter, AB/APP, amongst others for years, I have at one time or another experienced discrepancies, not only from APP to APP, but also within the same APP. This was my primary motivation for the use of "on-board" systems like the Kestrel and my G7/RF...once verified and set up they are highly reliable, and nuts on... ALL the time. Just my experience.

Having used Ballistic AE, Shooter, AB/APP, amongst others for years, I have at one time or another experienced discrepancies, not only from APP to APP, but also within the same APP. This was my primary motivation for the use of "on-board" systems like the Kestrel and my G7/RF...once verified and set up they are highly reliable, and nuts on... ALL the time. Just my experience.
Okay, if I go with the kestrel 5700 with link need opinion on range finder to link with. Would you go with the Terrapin x or the new style G7 BR 2500. I have the original style from some years ago G7 but I don't think it has link capacity.

Okay, if I go with the kestrel 5700 with link need opinion on range finder to link with. Would you go with the Terrapin x or the new style G7 BR 2500. I have the original style from some years ago G7 but I don't think it has link capacity.
The G2500 does not have Bluetooth capability, likely because it has an on-board calculator. These are the rangefinders that will connect to the Kestral 5700.
https://kestrelinstruments.com/faqs/question/view/id/36/
My experience is only with the TerrapinX. It works quite well when used with the 5700 providing extensive ballistics capability out to ELR, with superb optics with 8x magnification. The combination is quite pricey though.
For my long range hunting, I actually find myself using my G7 because of it's "single unit" simplicity and near/far filtering capability which has proven to be a valuable capability for me. As mentioned in my previous posts, ballistic outputs between the two approaches are within a click to 1200 yards. I'm very interested in the G2500's enhancements.
I like the Kestrel/TerrapinX for ELR and particularly PRS, making good use of the Kestrels "range card", "target card" capabilities, and the ability to apply environmental changes dire the course of a match.

The G2500 does not have Bluetooth capability, likely because it has an on-board calculator. These are the rangefinders that will connect to the Kestral 5700.
https://kestrelinstruments.com/faqs/question/view/id/36/
My experience is only with the TerrapinX. It works quite well when used with the 5700 providing extensive ballistics capability out to ELR, with superb optics with 8x magnification. The combination is quite pricey though.
For my long range hunting, I actually find myself using my G7 because of it's "single unit" simplicity and near/far filtering capability which has proven to be a valuable capability for me. As mentioned in my previous posts, ballistic outputs between the two approaches are within a click to 1200 yards. I'm very interested in the G2500's enhancements.
I like the Kestrel/TerrapinX for ELR and particularly PRS, making good use of the Kestrels "range card", "target card" capabilities, and the ability to apply environmental changes dire the course of a match.
I think im going to go this route then. I have a Leica 1600 as a back up. Yes things that work are expensive and things that don't work are more expensive in the long run. I think my best move is to sell my older G7 BR2 to help fund the terrapin. Don't want to shell out all of that and be sitting on something I wont be using. Appreciate all of your advise. One last thing, if im understanding you the Terrapin by it self only gives the reading of yards? Instead of like the G-7 gives back the dial in of moa?

Last edited:
yes the kestrel needs a lot of info and but when you input is all spot on the out put will be spot on also you must true it at the range that is for your round and spped when trued + = at the right range your out put will be spot on also you can inter face with your lap top for recording all info it will even do teps and will put out clicks for different temp you are shooting at with the powder being used for that round alone with storing up to 10+guns and rounds
Just ordered Kestrel 5700 elite, applied bal, and link. $699.00. That took some serious thinking but I made the plunge!

Doesn't seem that anyone else uses jbm so yes, I know what you mean as I still use jbm to print up back up charts vs hand writing them with math.

First, ballistic ae uses the jbm ballistic software so they are one in the same. The only difference is that the App is more open to inputs in someways.
As far as app to app, I've used a few that seem to line up with drop the same. Wind is always spotty. Spin and Coriolis, i usually just hold and do it in my head unless its I'm doing shots beyond a mile.

Every little input matters on any software. Hence the saying goes; garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited:
Doesn't seem that anyone else uses jbm so yes, I know what you mean as I still use jbm to print up back up charts vs hand writing them with math.

First, ballistic ae uses the jbm ballistic software so they are one in the same. The only difference is that the App is more open to inputs in someways.
As far as app to app, I've used a few that seem to line up with drop the same. Wind is always spotty. Spin and Coriolis, i usually just hold and do it in my head unless its I'm doing shots beyond a mile.

Every little input matters on any software. Hence the saying goes; garbage in, garbage out.
You might want to check out my spreadsheet. It's free and meant to deliver printed data tables. All calculators are pretty much the same.

https://ballisticxlr.com

What does the kestrel 5700 do that an iPhone with strlokPro and a wind meter can't? My iPhone has a barometer and temp. I just put in wind direction and speed from a hand held windmeter. I'm down to spend money but can't see what the differences are. Help me understand.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts