Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

I was able to fill my cow tag on Monday and got to see how the 0.257" SBD2 110gr performed on elk for the first time.
Rifle was PBB 26" 1:7" twist 25-06AI
MV was 3500fps suppressed
Impact velocity @ 200 yards was 3252fps with 2583ft# of energy. Elevation was 8200'
View attachment 515839

First shot was broadside and impact was low on the scapula near the first joint which totally shattered the bone as seen in the photo below. This bullet appear to also hit in the far forward lung area and I believe stopped in the opposite quarter as there was no evidence of an exit. I will investigate further when I debone the quarters.
View attachment 515842
After the first hit, the cow took a couple steps and wobbled around a bit, but still stayed in my small shooting lane. After she turned 180 degrees, I took a second shot with the cow very slightly quartered towards me that hit high shoulder. This shot got both lungs and exited about 5" in front of the last rib on the opposite side. You can see the exit in the grip and grin photo. The larger hole in the photo below shows the entrance cavity of the second shot and there is a smaller wound to the upper left of that hole which is the exit path of the first shot.

View attachment 515845
Upon inspection of the lungs there was copper fragmentation found between the lobes. There is a small fragment shown in the photo below.
View attachment 515846
Overall I was very pleased with the performance of this bullet on elk. The animal expired quickly, only a couple yards from where she was shot, and there was very little meat damage.
My bull tag starts tomorrow and I am very comfortable launching the 110gr SBD2 at a bull inside 400 yards after seeing how it performed on this large cow. I have only seen a spike so far so wish me luck :)
Not bad for a little 110 on a big cow. Schwack a bull now! Ha ha.

@nralifer : here's a 5-shot group I shot today out of my Browning A-bolt II 25-06Rem with 1:10" twist barrel @ 100yds. 95gr BDII's with a healthy dose of IMR4350 behind em. Would you be comfortable using that for deer and/or antelope? Do you think the terminal performance would be there even though I'm not running them in a 1:9" twist barrel?

Attachments

• IMG_9995.jpeg
    IMG_9995.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9994.jpeg
    IMG_9994.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 25-06-95gr-badlands.pdf
    111.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
@nralifer : here's a 5-shot group I shot today out of my Browning A-bolt II 25-06Rem with 1:10" twist barrel @ 100yds. 95gr BDII's with a healthy dose of IMR4350 behind em. Would you be comfortable using that for deer and/or antelope? Do you think the terminal performance would be there even though I'm not running them in a 1:9" twist barrel?
I personally would not. Marginal stability on paper turns into tumbling bullets on critters

I wouldn't. Terminal performance is likely to suffer. Incidentally, I've had some bullets (other manufacturers) that theoretically should have been stable in my barrel twist that looked great at 100 yards but moved out to 200 yards and you could see the keyholing on the target, showing the instability. I wouldn't mess with a bullet that requires a faster twist than my barrel, I'd prefer to go the opposite direction (pick a bullet that requires a slower twist than your barrel to make sure the bullet will be super stable)

You can estimate the stability by using the altitude by measuring the atmospheric pressure where you will hunt and the muzzle velocity of your load and use the JBM stability calculator. I estimate that if the altitude you are hunting at has a station pressure of 26.92, or roughly 3000 ft above sea level your stability assuming 3150 fps MV, would be 1.40 SG, which should be adequate. At sea level your SG is around 1.2 which is really marginal and I would not hunt at that altitude. What was the altitude you shot the 5 shot group? As a rule of thumb you subtract from the sea level pressure of 29.92 inHg 1 inch for every 1000 ft above sea level.

You can estimate the stability by using the altitude by measuring the atmospheric pressure where you will hunt and the muzzle velocity of your load and use the JBM stability calculator. I estimate that if the altitude you are hunting at has a station pressure of 26.92, or roughly 3000 ft above sea level your stability assuming 3150 fps MV, would be 1.40 SG, which should be adequate. At sea level your SG is around 1.2 which is really marginal and I would not hunt at that altitude. What was the altitude you shot the 5 shot group? As a rule of thumb you subtract from the sea level pressure of 29.92 inHg 1 inch for every 1000 ft above sea level.
The altitude I shot these at was approximately 1522ft above sea level.

The altitude I shot these at was approximately 1522ft above sea level.
Assuming a muzzle velocity of 3150 fps the stability factor was around 1.33 which is marginal. I would try one of two things. One is to take a couple of shots at 200-300 yds to simulate what you might do hunting. The most important shot would be the first. The second thing would be to do a jump ladder with the powder charge you have at 0.010" increments to see what overall length gives you the best 2 shot group and use that jump. Keep your shot at a Deer within 300 yds. Antelope hunting generally is done at a higher altitude so if you hunt these at 3000 ft or higher you should be OK. The warmer the day the better as the air is not as dense.
The reason I emphasize 2 shot groups is the barrel will not heat up much between shots and it more closely resembles what you will do in the field. Remember all first shot kills are a cold bore shot and hunting weight barrels are generally thinner, which have less heat capacity than thicker competition barrels. They will heat up faster and could change shape when they get hot.

I agree I wood not even if they stay on paper when they hit game it ma cause issues. Hate to lose an animal because of that. I to am stuck with a 10 twist for now.
Same. I guess I'll find another load that works for this OEM barrel and when it gets shot out, get one with a faster twist.