Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

You have a reason to be using that type of target. Every been a gun fight? I have somewhere between 35 and 40. Not counting flight time in chopper. Nor time in a tunnel. Most of the time nobody was home in the tunnels. Not all, but I am here so that kind of tell the story.
I realize the reason for those targets. They found in the Army that people won't pull the trigger. They could bunch paper targets, not people. It trained them to shoot the enemy without much though.
Sometimes a guy will use empty pop cans for targets, doesn't mean going to the store after pop cans. If ya go to a public indoor range these days, that paper FBI target is usually being used by someone there to check proficiency of their practice. If ya jump out the side door of an airplane, over a country, you've never been before, and more than half the guys on the ground hate ya, Yep, by God ,they're gonna shoot at ya and it's nothing personnel

Last edited:
You have a reason to be using that type of target. Every been a gun fight? I have somewhere between 35 and 40. Not counting flight time in chopper. Nor time in a tunnel. Most of the time nobody was home in the tunnels. Not all, but I am here so that kind of tell the story.
I realize the reason for those targets. They found in the Army that people won't pull the trigger. They could bunch paper targets, not people. It trained them to shoot the enemy without much though.
You can be bent out of shape and have your opinion. I can ignore you and continue on with my life.

This particular groundhog tried to catch a 0.257" 110gr SBD2 @ ~3387fps. MV was 3421fps from my 1:7" 25-06AI 26" at a whopping 20 yards from the critter.
While not terribly meaningful for big game it is still interesting to see what solid copper does in varmints. For those that want to preserve pelts, solid copper makes a lot of sense.
As fun as this gun is, it's rather unwieldy with the suppressed 26" barrel here in the Ozarks. I am thinking that I will get an 18" barrel to use at home for whitetails and swap as needed to the 26" when I head out west.
IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

Last edited:
This particular groundhog tried to catch a 0.257" 110gr SBD2 @ ~3387fps. MV was 3421fps from my 1:7" 25-06AI 26" at a whopping 20 yards from the critter.
While not terribly meaningful for big game it is still interesting to see what solid copper does in varmints. For those that want to preserve pelts, solid copper makes a lot of sense.
As fun as this gun is, it's rather unwieldy with the suppressed 26" barrel here in the Ozarks. I am thinking that I will get an 18" barrel to use at home for whitetails and swap as needed to the 26" when I head out west.
View attachment 477157
View attachment 477158
Gday cbuck516

Maybe another side 🤔
I'd say that data is useful /relivent to the bigger critters as just think for a minute on how little resistance can sometimes occur on a between the ribs shot & the way the lungs are inflated or deflated @ time of impact to why some brands of pills are more prone to penciling than others
Now also penciling may not occur throughout the entire length of the wound channel / path so a delayed opening is more likely to occur in a lot of cases but results are a longer run on the average & one that I personally watch closely

a lot in design of a pill along with what it's made of & I'll leave that @ that & leave you & others to ponder this

Imo it is good data but ea take it as they want just pointing out another part of the equation of killing efficiency from what I've learnt to look out for regardless of if it a mono or cup & core

Cheers

Sometimes a guy will use empty pop cans for targets, doesn't mean going to the store after pop cans. If ya go to a public indoor range these days, that paper FBI target is usually being used by someone there to check proficiency of their practice. If ya jump out the side door of an airplane, over a country, you've never been before, and more than half the guys on the ground hate ya, Yep, by God ,they're gonna shoot at ya and it's nothing personnel
You didn't answer the queston. How many gun fight you been in?

We get it, dude. You're a tough hombre who has lived through the worst things to ever happen to mankind. You got triggered by an orange silhouette on a piece of paper. You made your point. Let's get back to regular scheduled programming of this thread.

Long range hunting what this is about not former life experience .Ur probably not the only one on here, ever had a round gone in their direction, apparently not keepN tally but, not so many rounds that ,holes in a paper target, would bother a guy. Kinda make it easy on ya, will just ignore ya and ur job application survey today. Just post whatever wise quip seems good to ya, anyways Good Luck to ya, hope ya figure things out.

Has anyone actually tried the 30 cal 205 SBDII in a 1-9T? I ordered a box that I'm going to give a go, curious if anyone else has results now though.
My friend tried them and couldn't get them to work, but it became evident he has a pretty picky barrel, and I think to date he only has one really good load in it.

My friend tried them and couldn't get them to work, but it became evident he has a pretty picky barrel, and I think to date he only has one really good load in it.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to load a few up and see how it shoots. I have a Proof 1-9T chambered in 300 PRC with an AW2 Reamer.

Just loaded up some 300PRC with 195gr BD-2. Starting 0.020" off lands and load from 77.0gr - 80.0gr of Retumbo. They fit my Hawkins hunter mag with plenty of space. Using once fired Lapua brass and Fed215's. Hope to send these down range this coming week, will post results then. Rifle is built off a Terminus Kratos action with a 22" 1:8 Carbon6 barrel
IMG_5800.jpeg
IMG_5801.jpeg