Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

I was a little surprised when doing a little measuring of the .284 150 BD2 this evening. I am not sure of the ogive, but they take up a great deal of powder space in my 280ai. HH allow me to seat them significantly longer (.040). I'm stuck with a SAAMI throat and not sure if the 150 BD2 is going to work out for me.
What's the difference in length between the ones you're comparing them to as Hammer doesn't make a 150 and the BC on the similar weight bullets is significantly lower on the hammer?

Last edited:
I compared them to the 143HH. I understand that the BD2 150 is a longer bullet, but the COAL and CBTO at the lands was .040 shorter on the BD2. I will need to get back down to reloading room and do some additional testing with other bullets this morning.

I'm not attempting to turn this into a Hammer or Berger vs. Badlands debate, but I was finally able to get back to reloading room. I really wanted the 150 BD2 to work out. The BC is great, but they just can't be loaded long enough in my chamber. I can seat a 155HH with .045 more length and 168VLD .0425 more length. I still might give the BD2 a try, but may have to go with a faster powder (maybe RL17).

H4831sc or RL26
Case fill and compressed loads would seem to be the biggest issue with the BD2 and the 280AI SAAMI chamber with the slow burning powders. I'm not hung up on hitting 3000 fps, but we will see what I can get. RL17 scares me a little with temp sensitivity. i have plenty of different powders to try, but no RL26.

Case fill and compressed loads would seem to be the biggest issue with the BD2 and the 280AI SAAMI chamber with the slow burning powders. I'm not hung up on hitting 3000 fps, but we will see what I can get. RL17 scares me a little with temp sensitivity. i have plenty of different powders to try, but no RL26.
RL26 is not temp stable either in warmer temps over 90

I run RL17 in my 3006. Picked up a lot of velocity with it. Temps are pretty stable where I live, but I've never had an issue.

Got out to the range today, I shot the 128s in a 270wsm and my friend was shooting the 205s in a 300 PRC. Both BCs appeared to be right on out to 1070 yards, which was great to see. I am very eagerly awaiting those 150gr .277s.
Did you ever try the 150gr in the 270 WSM? I am curious where jam ends up with that combo.

Did you ever try the 150gr in the 270 WSM? I am curious where jam ends up with that combo.
I'm stuck at a 1:10 twist on my factory barrel for now, eventually I'm going to put a 1:7 twist on it, but that's not in the budget for me right now.

I'm going to keep working on working up a load for my 25-06 and 95gr BDII. This group here was the best I've gotten, however, as you can see SD is not something to write home about. My rifle is a 1991 Browning Medallion ABolt with a 1:10" twist. I know the BDII specs are for a 1:9" to stabilize, but I'm wondering if anyone here has a similar twist/rifle and has had success with the 95gr BDII?

Attachments

• IMG_8594.jpeg
    IMG_8594.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 91