Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

I'm glad to see that the BC turned out better than expected. If 270 WSM or 300 WSM brass was currently available I would be building a 270 WSM right now to accommodate these. I think a 20" suppressed 270 WSM in 1-7 twist would be incredibly deadly out to 800 yards. I still think I can easily get 2950fps from that combo. How much BC do you think would be lost by using the recommended 1-8 twist vs the 1-7 you used in this test rifle?

In the meantime, I am waiting on a 25-06AI barrel in 1-7 twist to shoot the 0.257 110gr BD2's. Luckily for me, 30-06 brass isn't impossible to find at the moment.

I also have some 0.308 BD2s inbound in both 195 and 205 to try in my 300 PRC.
Don't despair. With a 1:8 twist you could use the 140 gr .277 SBD2 and still be ahead of the Berger. Hard to predict how much BC you would lose using the 150 in a 1:8 twist. At sea level maybe a little but hunting at a higher altitude you would get it back because the SG would increase from 1.38 to 1.5 at 1300 feet. Elk at 5000' you would be somewhat over stabilized which is fine. My bias is to use the lighter bullet in a shorter barrel to assure you get the speed you want, but that would be up to you.

At first it was because an AR15 shooting 77 grain .223 won't print very well at 1,000 yards, then people decided it was a hunting cartridge and I guess it's OK.

In a mini-Mauser style bolt action it's fine. In an AR15 the bolt is compromised and it can have feed issues.

Different cartridges do everything better, in 6.5 Grendle you just get all that and when Wolf started making ammo in steel case people went nuts for it! Because when you build an AR for 1,000 yard shooting evidently crap ammo is what you really want.

I'm not a fan, since the days when it was only an Alexander Arms thing.

Now there are 6mm versions but they haven't fixed the case for AR use so it's still not something I'm interested in.

.224 Valkyrie is a better design (for the AR) but they should have started with a 6mm and they should have never used PTG for reamers...
I'd think the 6arc in a really light bolt gun would be a nice ultra light weight, light recoiling deer cartridge.

I'm not reading 68 pages of info...

Has any one shot the Badlands .375 270 grain BD2?

Caliber? (I've got a 375 RUM)
Powder?
Bullet jump that works best?

Thanks

I just started building a load for my 375 RUM with the 275's. So far I've gotten it up to 3050 fps with H4350. I've got them loaded at 2.954 cbto. It's 3.677 over all length. That's as long as I could get to fit into the bottom metal and feel comfortable that they would cycle smoothly. As far as jump I have no idea. I figured if I couldn't find a load that would work at mag length then I would start looking at longer seating depths.

I just started building a load for my 375 RUM with the 275's. So far I've gotten it up to 3050 fps with H4350. I've got them loaded at 2.954 cbto. It's 3.677 over all length. That's as long as I could get to fit into the bottom metal and feel comfortable that they would cycle smoothly. As far as jump I have no idea. I figured if I couldn't find a load that would work at mag length then I would start looking at longer seating depths.
So far I've shot the Speer 270's and the Barnes 270 LRXs
Both of them really liked the CBTO at 2.985"

I'm using RL-16, cruising at a no pressure 3110 fps with a 30" barrel

What free bore was your reamer?
Mine is .300" freebore, that way I can use the longer high BC bullets if I want

How was the accuracy with the 275 BD-2's?

Thanks

It's a factory chamber. I'm not sure what they run for freebore. I've really just got started with load development. I decided to try to run a pressure tests and ladder test at the same time with the magnetospeed and kinda shot myself in the foot. 94 and 94.5 both went into the same hole at 200 and were 9fps different but when I took off the magnetospeed both shoot 1 1/2 -1 3/4 moa. So back to the drawing board.

If they shoot well and cycle smoothly the only thing I would worry about is how close you are that a small amount of debris could impede the bolt closing during cycling. To see that just load a dummy round with the 275 gr bullet long and keep pushing in the bullet until your bolt closes with some difficulty and then measure that OAL. Subtract from it your load AOL and that difference would be your jump. If it is 0.025" or greater you are good to go shoot some dangerous game.😉

I'm not reading 68 pages of info...

Has any one shot the Badlands .375 270 grain BD2?

Caliber? (I've got a 375 RUM)
Powder?
Bullet jump that works best?

Thanks
There is an option within the search bar to search within the current thread. Works pretty well for such situations :)

I'm gonna guess it's around .100 jump. When I played around with a 281 hammer I was 3.050 cbto and that was around .010-.015 jump a believe. If I remember correctly. But I would have been single feeding at that length for sure.

The fact that I've been here 10 years longer than you…yes, I am aware of the search function… :)

What did you find when you did the search?

But I did just found out about this thing called a Google Search… :)

It's a factory chamber. I'm not sure what they run for freebore. I've really just got started with load development. I decided to try to run a pressure tests and ladder test at the same time with the magnetospeed and kinda shot myself in the foot. 94 and 94.5 both went into the same hole at 200 and were 9fps different but when I took off the magnetospeed both shoot 1 1/2 -1 3/4 moa. So back to the drawing board.
That tells you something about barrel vibrations. I suggest you weigh the magneto speed and put that weight in the same spot you had the magneto speed secured then see if the group improves

I'm glad to see that the BC turned out better than expected. If 270 WSM or 300 WSM brass was currently available I would be building a 270 WSM right now to accommodate these. I think a 20" suppressed 270 WSM in 1-7 twist would be incredibly deadly out to 800 yards. I still think I can easily get 2950fps from that combo. How much BC do you think would be lost by using the recommended 1-8 twist vs the 1-7 you used in this test rifle?

In the meantime, I am waiting on a 25-06AI barrel in 1-7 twist to shoot the 0.257 110gr BD2's. Luckily for me, 30-06 brass isn't impossible to find at the moment.

I also have some 0.308 BD2s inbound in both 195 and 205 to try in my 300 PRC.
I have i believe 85 pieces of 1x fired and neck turned Norma brass (300 wsm) if you are interested.