Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

I'd like to hear more about the 100gr in the 243 win

What speed did you end up with, coal? What powder? Ect. I've got a 28" 1:7 I'd like to try these in.
@nralifer
From a 24" 1:7 barrel used StaBall6.6 from a . 243 Win got
I run the 100 grain CEB MTH over 3,200 fps in my .243 win with Reloder 26 so you should be able to run these faster as they have less bearing surface.
I suppose but at $9 less a box and a G7 of 0.3 why would you want to go any faster.

Now there's some really good info. Awesome write up and can't wait to hear "the rest of the story".
I'd like to hear more about the 100gr in the 243 win

What speed did you end up with, coal? What powder? Ect. I've got a 28" 1:7 I'd like to try these in.
@nralifer
From a 28" barrel you should easily reach 3200 fps using StaBall6.5. Start with recommended charges listed in the 2021 Hodgdon Annual Manual. With a G7 of 0.3 at that speed it should shoot flatter to 1000 yds than other 100 gr bullets with lesser BCs.

Possibly but going that light weight is starting to lose some of the ballistic efficiency over the .224 counterparts.

I suspect a 77 grain bullet in .224 has a better BC than the 85 grain 6.5 Hammer. The 97 grain is already bad enough.
What is the attraction of the 6.5 Grendel? Why do people use it?

Close range (sub 300 yards), low recoil deer rifle generally in a AR platform. A 95-100g mono at ~2600-2800fps (depends on barrel length) doesn't need high BC because it shouldnt be used realistically pasted 300 yards. If you want to shoot further choose a different cartridge/bullet combination. Just my opinion as I have one specifically for that reason. I also have a 6.5 PRC/156 bergers or 125 Bd-2 that satisfies my 6.5mm need at further distance.

Close range (sub 300 yards), low recoil deer rifle generally in a AR platform. A 95-100g mono at ~2600-2800fps (depends on barrel length) doesn't need high BC because it shouldnt be used realistically pasted 300 yards. If you want to shoot further choose a different cartridge/bullet combination. Just my opinion as I have one specifically for that reason. I also have a 6.5 PRC/156 bergers or 125 Bd-2 that satisfies my 6.5mm need at further distance.
How does the 125 bd2 work in a PRC at distance? What load data for powder and charge?

It mostly shines in the AR platform but it is otherwise an efficient cartridge in its category.

It is also the next logical step in a youth cartridge. I have a Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel that shoots factory Hornady Black 123 ELDM at just shy of 2600fps, prints 5 shot cloverleaf groups and recoil is virtually non existent.

I'm not reading 68 pages of info...

Has any one shot the Badlands .375 270 grain BD2?

Caliber? (I've got a 375 RUM)
Powder?
Bullet jump that works best?

Thanks

This thread has been awesome. I think I'm going to dedicate next season to using a Badlands bullet of some form. I'll finally be moving back west, so should have a bit more time to hunt. I should end up with at least 4 or more tags. Just need to decide if I'll go with the 6.5 Sherman or let the 338 RUM finally have a chance!

Well guys and gals, as promised, did some testing on or new 150 gr .277 SBD2 bullet using a borrowed rifle 6.8 Western with a 3" short action and Winchester brass derived from a box of factory loads using a 162gr Copper Impact bullet. As the photo shows, my loaded round OAL was 3.000" so that I could have a jump of 0.025". The OAL of the factory load was 2.88". This discrepancy illustrates my point of using 3.2" long actions for these new short fatter magnums to allow mag feeding while capitalizing on the use of high BC bullets. I was able to measure BC on both the new 150 gr SBD2 and the Winchester Copper impact bullet using the Lab Radar. Had to hurry as a winter storm was due to come in soon.
The stats on the SBD2 are as follows:
1) Bullet length: 1.635"
2) Boat tail 0.277"
3) Ogive approx 0.877"
4) G1 BC 0.710
5) G7 BC 0.350
Saw a rather wide velocity node using 57-60 gr of StaBall6.5 with group measuring 0.5-0.6MOA @ 100 yds with final MV at 60 gr SB6.5 of 3080 fps from 24" 1:7 twist Preferred carbon wrapped barrel with Paradigm carbon wrapping courtesy of Matt Kranz who graciously made one of his superb light weight hunting rifles available to me to test with. No pressure signs noted.

Photos show the .277 SBD2 150 gr bullet, and the OAL of the load tested along with the factory 6.8 Western loaded by Winchester using their 162 gr Copper Impact bullet (OAL 2.88"). I was able to also measure the G1 BC of their bullet at 0.566, which agreed with the stated G1BC on the ammo box. I used their brass resized as that was my only source.
I'm glad to see that the BC turned out better than expected. If 270 WSM or 300 WSM brass was currently available I would be building a 270 WSM right now to accommodate these. I think a 20" suppressed 270 WSM in 1-7 twist would be incredibly deadly out to 800 yards. I still think I can easily get 2950fps from that combo. How much BC do you think would be lost by using the recommended 1-8 twist vs the 1-7 you used in this test rifle?

In the meantime, I am waiting on a 25-06AI barrel in 1-7 twist to shoot the 0.257 110gr BD2's. Luckily for me, 30-06 brass isn't impossible to find at the moment.

I also have some 0.308 BD2s inbound in both 195 and 205 to try in my 300 PRC.

At first it was because an AR15 shooting 77 grain .223 won't print very well at 1,000 yards, then people decided it was a hunting cartridge and I guess it's OK.

In a mini-Mauser style bolt action it's fine. In an AR15 the bolt is compromised and it can have feed issues.

Different cartridges do everything better, in 6.5 Grendle you just get all that and when Wolf started making ammo in steel case people went nuts for it! Because when you build an AR for 1,000 yard shooting evidently crap ammo is what you really want.

I'm not a fan, since the days when it was only an Alexander Arms thing.

Now there are 6mm versions but they haven't fixed the case for AR use so it's still not something I'm interested in.

.224 Valkyrie is a better design (for the AR) but they should have started with a 6mm and they should have never used PTG for reamers...