Bad Leica Experience

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the general discussion, but I just thought I would share my sob story about what not to do when getting a warranty replacement from Leica (or any brand possibly).

First off, I am still in college, so forking out $800 for a Leica 1600B isn't always the easiest in the first place. But last fall before season I made the purchase so I could upgrade from a Leupold that only was reliable to about 500 yards. After purchase of the Leica 1600B, I immediately noticed the rubber coating was peeling badly, and none of the internal weather features seemed to be correct; even after setting the rangefinder outside in 20 degree weather for a few hours it would still show only 55 degrees. Not huge defects, but still defective nonetheless and I spent a lot of money (to me) on the unit.

After the season I sent it in for a warranty evaluation in January, and I was working directly with a Leica representative (I don't feel it is super necessary to include names :)). They supplied me with a shipping label and instructed me to return it with original packaging and receipt from where I bought it. After waiting about 3 months, I began to question where my rangefinder was. I tried emailing the representative I was working with but could not get any response whatsoever. About another month later I started calling to try to get ahold of someone. After trying off and on for about another month, I finally got ahold of someone in a different department who helped push me through.

Once they started looking at things, they found out that they had replaced my rangefinder and shipped it back to Sportsman's Warehouse where I purchased it. Needless to say, I have been trying to get Leica to send me a new unit now for about a month. The group at Leica keeps telling me they have put in an order and a new unit is on the way, but I have yet to receive it. I have also tried contacting Sportsman's Warehouse but they do not want to help me out given that I do not have any proof of purchase since I paid cash and sent my receipt to Leica.

Lessons Learned:
- Always keep a copy of my receipt
- Stay in touch often with customer reps whenever there is any doubt
- Always keep track of a serial number
- Just because a company is known for good customer service, mistakes can still be made

Anyways, I will keep the forum posted on what ends up happening, but I do know I will never purchase Leica products again. The old saying is still true: The best warranty is the one you never use.

-Tanner

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get a new one soon.
Also keep a copy of the tracking number when you ship something.
It is very easy to just snap a picture of the serial #, receipt,etc. and email it to yourself and keep it in a folder called "gun receipts" if you don't like holding on to paper. Some companies don't care when or where you bought it. I like those kind !

Luckily I had the tracking number that is what hopefully saved me! After I gave them the tracking info they were able to determine what happened... but like I said still am waiting for them to help make things right.

Glad to know. I have started doing business with Sportman's Warehouse. No more. Back to Cabela's. If you had bought it from them they would have replaced it. UI you are as much at fault as anyone. You are young so you still have a lot of lessons to learn. It's the paying for them that's a b..... How could you wait three months without asking questions. Then e mail. Then wait two more months. Come on.

Excuse me wildcater. I know the truth can be tough. wildcater would you have waited five months? He immediately noticed the" coating was peeling and the weather features did not work correctly". He should have returned it to the store immediately and gotten it replaced! This would have saved a lot of heart ache and made for a happy customer and successful hunt. This by no means lets Leica or Sportsman's Warehouse off the hook. They certainly dropped the ball on this one. UI I hate you had to learn this one the hard way. However, sounds like they are going to take care of you and you have taken these life lessons to heart.

Excuse me wildcater. I know the truth can be tough. wildcater would you have waited five months? He immediately noticed the" coating was peeling and the weather features did not work correctly". He should have returned it to the store immediately and gotten it replaced! This would have saved a lot of heart ache and made for a happy customer and successful hunt. This by no means lets Leica or Sportsman's Warehouse off the hook. They certainly dropped the ball on this one. UI I hate you had to learn this one the hard way. However, sounds like they are going to take care of you and you have taken these life lessons to heart.

Say what you want. He was not part of the problem.

I agree with you he was not part of the problem. However, he did cause himself a lot of problems, undue worry, and grief. Everyone and every company makes mistakes. He has now learned that he has to take care of business instead of just hoping for the best.

I agree I should have stayed on top of things better... got busy with spring semester at school and being 3 hours behind from the Leica office didn't help at all either.

Anyways, Update: I received a package today from Leica, opened it up to find the wrong rangefinder, a 1000R instead of the 1600B. So I will be contacting them first thing in the morning to see how to get the right rangefinder.

At this point, if it seems like it is going to be a pain to get the right rangefinder on the way, I am considering cutting my losses and selling the 1000R and changing to a Sig 2000.

Murphy's Law!!! Don't do that get on the phone now. Talk to the Customer Service Manager. Get his name, extension, and see if he won't ship you one out today!!! If no tell him you will cover it with a credit card until he gets your return. If no ask to talk to his boss. Write everything down. Wait one week. If you have not received it in a week call back and talk to whoever told you they would ship you one. Get shipping info. Wait another week and repeat. Hopefully by now this monkey is off your back. No excuses. You have got to take care of business no matter how busy you are.Please get a return number for the 1000 and get it in the mail today even if you have to do it on your lunch hour. Once again keep good notes. Anytime I send anything in the mail worth very much money I ask for a return receipt. This costs you a couple of bucks but in return you get a signed receipt by the people that received the item a few days latter in the mail. Make sure you insure it.

Murphy's Law!!! Don't do that get on the phone now. Talk to the Customer Service Manager. Get his name, extension, and see if he won't ship you one out today!!! If no tell him you will cover it with a credit card until he gets your return. If no ask to talk to his boss. Write everything down. Wait one week. If you have not received it in a week call back and talk to whoever told you they would ship you one. Get shipping info. Wait another week and repeat. Hopefully by now this monkey is off your back. No excuses. You have got to take care of business no matter how busy you are.Please get a return number for the 1000 and get it in the mail today even if you have to do it on your lunch hour. Once again keep good notes. Anytime I send anything in the mail worth very much money I ask for a return receipt. This costs you a couple of bucks but in return you get a signed receipt by the people that received the item a few days latter in the mail. Make sure you insure it.

Sadly, this is good advice in today's world.

I would get the 1600B you deserve from the idiots, then sell it and get your Sig 2000. IMO you are losing to much value between the 1000r and the 1600B.

Good luck.

Talked to Leica first thing this morning (called at 5 am my time) and they are going to forward the 1600 and let me use the 1000 for the time being. They did say they will have to look into what happened so I am guessing I will have to call once or twice more this week.

On another note, I guess I need to be more descriptive in how I am going about things so you all don't just assume the worst! Lol but rightfully deserved. I appreciate all of your guys' opinions. :)

Awesome. Make you a file. Mark it Leica. Keep it from now on. I hope you kept good notes and names. If you ever have trouble again with this or another Leica product you have a good contact. So Leica will take care of their customers. I called them once with set up help and they were very knowledgeable. I really like my 1600B. The one beef I have is the B. It did not match any of my rifles. Maybe good for a muzzle loader. Now for the positives. It gives you great ranging and accurate angles. Don't ever settle!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.