Back from a good trip

Not only is that a big, big, big bear but it's the best bear photographic scene and composition I've ever viewed.

The rest of you don't know this...but Ian is a very accomplished wildlife photographer with many hunting magazine "covers" to his credit.

Thanks for the kind words, Len. Appreciate that coming from a shooter who does the wonderful images that you have shown us.

Well, how about "the other side of the story"...

As the outfitter said for me to shoot, I concentrated on putting the crosshairs of the big Nikon tactical on the inside shoulder. "Trigger squeeze, easy does it..." I said to myself as I steadied the cross-hairs. I did not consciously fire, the rifle let go and I lost the picture. A split second later, during recoil still I head the deep WHHHUMMP. "Hit him again" said the outfitter as I frantically reloaded. Second shot went smoothly, it was over. Never even heard the shots go off or felt any recoil.

As I trotted to the down bear, I realized that something significant was going on - in my head. My somewhat boogered ears where in another dimension of "blasted". Firing a rifle three or four feet from a tent obviously caused the backblast from the big muzzlebreak to come right back at my head. Three days later my head still sounded like it was inside a 55 gallon drum when I whistled.

The little sparrows that I constantly heard for years are now more like sea-gulls... Tinitis or whatever they call it, big time. Somehow I think that those two shots put me closer to being a candidate for hearing aides. My bells got rung like never before, but it was worth it
wink.gif

Ian, that is an amazing bear. That should keep you in sausage for a bit.

That's being cool under fire. Yikes, who needs a scope.

Glad to hear your feedback on gear. Always nice to know when something has actually been proven in use.

Keep the stories coming. Now go raise hell with the PD's.

Take care...

Jerry

Len,
Made it interesting. When did they start making rifles with more than one cartridge in them
confused.gif

Heck of a good idea when you are playing tag with the big fuzzy guys with the long toenails and bumps on their backs.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.