B2P Barrel work

Ebender34

Has anyone used B2P to turn their stainless steel barrel and carbon wrap it? Worth it? Looking to shed some weight on a Ruger in .300 win mag.

Attachments

• IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 47
Looks like a fairly light contour on that Ruger. I doubt you're gonna lose much weigh by doing it. You could weight your barreled action and then subtract your action weight (should be able to find a weight of that action somewhere online) and figure out what your barrel weights and compare it to some carbon offerings and see what you might be able to lose.

I personally wouldn't spend much money on a factory barrel. When it's time to re-barrel look into a carbon or a deep spiral fluted sporter if your going for lightweight.

Looks like a fairly light contour on that Ruger. I doubt you're gonna lose much weigh by doing it. You could weight your barreled action and then subtract your action weight (should be able to find a weight of that action somewhere online) and figure out what your barrel weights and compare it to some carbon offerings and see what you might be able to lose.

I personally wouldn't spend much money on a factory barrel. When it's time to re-barrel look into a carbon or a deep spiral fluted sporter if your going for lightweight.
It's already been rebarrelled. B2P builds barrels for smiths and he said he could turn it on a lathe and wrap it in CF.

Has anyone used B2P to turn their stainless steel barrel and carbon wrap it? Worth it? Looking to shed some weight on a Ruger in .300 win mag.
Ebender,

Turning an existing barrel can/may cause you some headaches. Anytime you turn steel the machining operation imparts stresses into the machined piece and it's hard to avoid. That's why good barrel makers stress relieve their barrels after they are machined/contoured. I think it's still true that a lot of the quality makers grind their barrels to final form. I think that barrels that have this operation should be stress relieved before wrapping them. You might be better off buying a Proof or some other quality barrel that's already wrapped. Just my thoughts after a lot of years beating on guns.

If the barrel fits in a boat paddle stock its probably stil a fairly light taper like a #3. Still a thinner profile than most carbon barrels. Easiest would be flutes (not a ton of weight but not nothing) and maybe accept a few fps loss and loose a few inches of barrel length. Sometimes it's just enough to change the feel of a rifle.

Rugers are hard to put on a diet, the action, bolt and rings aren't exactly svelte nor is the dbm. Sadly ruger makes a couple guns nobody else makes... last one got 6 deep flutes and 2 inches lopped off and it was still chunky compared to a kimber or remington seven but it did help.