What CNC lathe for barrel work?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Chad
I wish there was some way for me to get machine time without getting one. I will take a couple classes at the local trade school to get some experience but that will probably be the extent of it. You don't mind if I stop on and get some time on yours right?? KIDDING

That seems to be the rub. Something good enough to do barrels on but still reasonable price and something I can learn on. Is that just something that doesn't exist?

Most internal parts on Japanese cnc's are produced by a small amount of vendors. I personally have worked with okuma, toyoda, mori seiki, mazak, hyundai, the list is endless. we currently have some haas (soft metals) leblond makino (good old machine) mazak H6000 (top notch horizontal machine) mazak qtn-250 msy (excellent small parts lathe) mazak v510 (top notch mill) and a mazak Integrex 400-IVst (don't care what anyone says TOP of the line) would do all my work on these. As far as home i love my trusty Clausing/Colchester. If your just starting out you need to learn the basics on a manual then learn the cnc. If i were going with programs i prefer to design with solid works and program with mastercam. With mazak the mazatrol is awesome except for the extra module to purchase to program offline. Remembers when we had punch card nc programming, just to let you know how long i have been doing this.

I just read your entire thread and see you already have machining experience, just look at auctions online and you can find a good used lathe for barrel work. All cnc's at some point you will have to adjust (we all have crashed them, if you say you haven't your lying).

I am a life long machinist with no gunsmithing background, but have been teaching myself for 3 moth's now and have learned alot.

just my ten cent worth.

Last edited:
Brainy is spot on.

Mazaks and M/S's are about as nice as they come. So are Deckels if you have a spare half million laying around.

There's two types of CNC machinists. Those who have crashed a machine and those who will.

Count on it and when it happens pray the worse that happens is a "ka chunked" tool holder or insert.

Rapid override is a beautiful thing.

I too use MCX for programming. Although I do all my lathe stuff longhand as I loath searching through tool libraries to find the exact tool I have in the machine. Just easier for me to type the stuff. (lathes are pretty easy, especially simple slant beds with no live tooling as you only work in 2 axis's)

It's a powerful tool, just be careful when you start.

C.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.