AZ Unit 10 Early Cow & Deer

freese

I got drawn for Unit 10's early cow hunt this year. I'm also putting in to hunt deer in the same area, which is the following week. I'm looking for recommendations on where to start scouting. My research is leading me toward the southeast corner, hunting Kaibab north of Williams. Right now I'm just spending weekends there. In late September I'll scout for a full week.

Unit 10 is generally consider a trophy bull unit - so you know the cows are there. Don't be fooled by the open terrain. I can't tell you how many elk I ran into while scouting/hunting for antelope. The gentle folds in the terrain can hide a whole herd of elk.

I remember putting a stalk on a herd of antelope in early September. I was walking up a draw when I noticed a juniper with just a few too many branches. I glassed the tree and quickly saw a 340 bull with a few cows all crammed into the shade. Beside the juniper, there was no vegetation bigger than knee-high sage brush. But the surprising thing was not the bull, but all the cows. By the time all the elk had stood up, there were eight cows with that bull. I only saw three cows when I first glassed.

Look in the north and northwest corner of the unit - just outside th GC National Park boundary. Also, focus on land just outside of the Reservation. They like to feed out in the flats at night and then drift back into the timber at first light. Just be careful and always know where you are. It's a favorite spot for trophy hunters, so the Res police it constantly. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.