AZ Unit 3c Elk

lilharcher

Helped my uncle last year who drew the early (rut) rifle tag and have some good intel if you drew a tag this year......shoot me a PM.

Hunted that unit a few years ago. Saw plenty of elk and some big bulls. Hope the drought of the last two years hasn't hurt the numbers.

Helped my uncle last year who drew the early (rut) rifle tag and have some good intel if you drew a tag this year......shoot me a PM.
I have a rifle cow tag that started in 3A/3C. I was wondering if you had any insight. I tried to private message you, but sadly couldn't quite figure it out.

33, you need about a dozen posts to PM. Been a few years, but around Black Canyon lake was a good area. There's going to be other hunters there. Things get better after the weekend hunters go home Sunday evening. Good luck

33, you need about a dozen posts to PM. Been a few years, but around Black Canyon lake was a good area. There's going to be other hunters there. Things get better after the weekend hunters go home Sunday evening. Good luck
I've been hunting south of the 300 by Gentry lookout yesterday and this morning, sitting water and glassing off ridge tops....nothing. I'll try over in the Black Canyon area this evening, we'll see how it goes. Thank you for the tip!

That's the plan, just gotta find the right place to do it. Hopefully I'll have one down this evening before the wind really picks up. Thanks for the tip!
South/southwest of black canyon lake is a big burn. I have seen good sign there during the summer's when hiking.

South/southwest of black canyon lake is a big burn. I have seen good sign there during the summer's when hiking.
Yes, in the little canyon on the south end of the Black Canyon lake campground. There was some water in the bottom.

Yes, in the little canyon on the south end of the Black Canyon lake campground. There was some water in the bottom.
I found an area west of black canyon lake that has some good food and sign, but no elk last night or this morning. Is this the area that you're referring to. The canyon between Gentry lookout and the lake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211107-081307_Avenza Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20211107-081307_Avenza Maps.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 143
There is a campground on the southeast side of the Black Canyon rd and the 300 rd. The map area you show is below the Gentry campground. I saw elk there also, but would be tough to pack one out. The spot I'm referring to is directly below the above described campground. I walked out on the burn area to the south above the small canyon, sat on a stump and shot my elk down at the bottom. Drove in from the east to retrieve.

Not sure how to send you a PM, I have early archery in this unit in a few weeks
You just joined and do not have enough messages…I think you got to have a minimum of 10, might be more can't remember. Once you get enough, click on their name and a message icon should be there where you can start a conversation.