Awesome Coyote video!

I watched this video once and to me at 8 min. in the coyote were all looking to their right coming in if I were calling I would think that they were in another coyotes area and it was to their right . At 15 min. in that is the coyote near the den to me and it is doing the short howl and barking that says to me it is decoying you so it can lead you away from the den . At 24 1/2 min that coyote is doing what I have talked of several times you will see them just show up and set there when you watch them they will look your way then look at the den . So then when you shoot them if you go to where they were setting get to their height and look the direction they were you should also see the den . Just some of the things that I have observed others may see it in a different way and I would welcome their observations so as too learn more thank You .

I've been blasting them since the days when you got $2 bucks for ears. LOL But anyway I never picked up much about their pack life and hunting behavior until I started watching them with night vision and thermal optics. All their action is in the night. They have a pecking order and really beat up dogs that get out of line. When they are yapping and yelling it confuses the prey as to which way to run. At night I've had them all around me making noise and I wondered if I was the target. I just kept walking constantly turning around to blast any one that came at me out of the tall sage brush. Just being defensive.

What I noticed DSheetz, from my bait and calling days like what you saw in the video is non Alpha dogs even being hungry check and see if it's okay to come to food. Like the female lions do all the hunting and the male eats first. Or the females eat as fast as they can because they know the male will forcefully take it away from them.

I've only come across a few den's ever. Depending on they prey cycle , dogs might have to prowl many many square miles just to stay alive. We have gone out days ahead of a calling session and just blasted Jack Rabbits to chum them in. Like an evening of spot lighting Jacks and leave 20 - 30 dead on a road and in the morning they are all gone. That is a good place to set up.

I've done a lot of denning over the years and find it interesting how they react at or near the den . Budlight I like your quote on knowledge and wisdom . In my area if there is any human odor around any food the coyote won't eat it . They remember the years of poison bait stations before 1972 still I think they were taught and passed it down to this day here not to eat after humans touched it but don't know why just not to here . I've noticed that where they aren't bothered by humans they will be active during the day also but as you have noticed they do like the night time best . It's a blast to study them , observe .

For Varminting I like frangible bullets. The V-max line and Speer TNT. I was the 243 win man then 6XC, but I kinda got the AR bug. The 6mm ARC is limited case capacity and I use leverrevolution powder. Velocity is everything. So 70 TNT and 75 v-max grain is kinda tops. I've tried the 87 v-max

Just an example of loads:

https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6mm-arc-gas-58-105gr-data.pdf

I use remote callers like this guy! He is just an excellent shot and I like his tripod and kids! Enjoy!

Excellent video and shooting. Kudos!

I was very impressed with the camera quality. I have a gopro MAX. I could never justify one of the new 4K video scopes.

Jack Rabbits during the high cycle are great fun. We go RV Toy Hauler camping out in the middle of nowhere and unload our Quads and Ar's. Every morning and evening we are out cruising the desert roads blasting rabbits. When you stay for awhile you actually start to see the coyotes hanging way out for you to leave because they know it buffet time. Day time is callers and night time is thermal optics. I started out night stuff pig hunting in Texas with laser illuminators because I couldn't rationalize the highly expensive night stuff. Now the quality has gone up and the price has gone down.

Laser illuminators and your standard scope is good stuff. We are going out this next week! :)

Could be one of several options but what came to mind was a Bog Pod. They make clamping adapters as well but he was using a rail mount. His tripod looked heavy duty.
I would think Coyotes are great to practice running shots!!

I've done a lot of denning over the years and find it interesting how they react at or near the den . Budlight I like your quote on knowledge and wisdom . In my area if there is any human odor around any food the coyote won't eat it . They remember the years of poison bait stations before 1972 still I think they were taught and passed it down to this day here not to eat after humans touched it but don't know why just not to here . I've noticed that where they aren't bothered by humans they will be active during the day also but as you have noticed they do like the night time best . It's a blast to study them , observe .
I'm in Florida so I don't have this type of hunting available. I noticed the call had pups in den call. When the adults come to call do the adults eat the den pups? I don't know so I wanted to ask. Thanks

100 % protective of pups . Coyote are survivors and will adopt others pups to raise if their parents get killed . I've seen the female get killed and the old male go find another female to help him raise the pups many times . That has caused me a lot of head aches as then they are more likely to start killing livestock to feed the pups and I get called to stop it .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts