Asking for trouble?

briar rabbit

Roughly 20 years ago my father-in-law bought a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm and shot a 7mm Wby round through it. The gun stock split in two pieces and bolt would not open (he did kill the elk). Father-in-law passed away several years ago and all of his guns went to his family. So here is my question- is this worth the risk to take to a gunsmith to see if the action is worth building off of, yes I understand it is only a Vanguard (made in Japan) and it would never be worth the money I put into it. Understand that I am not trying to be cheap as I buy a couple of new guns every year. Safety is my main concern.

I'm not understanding why the stock split and the bolt wouldn't open. If it's because it was chambered in a different caliber then I see. But if wasn't, your guess is as good as mine. Either way, I feel it would make a better story piece than anything. Basically I wouldn't trust it for a build farther than I can throw it. There's too much to risk.

Are you saying the Vanguard was chambered for 7mm Remington Magnum and a 7mm Weatherby magnum was fired in it? I'd expect it would be a tight fit but possible.. Note the neck diameters, length to the shoulder. and case OAL. It probably crimped the bullet tight in the throat causing much higher pressure. Much more than just the normal pressure of the 7mm Wby Mag.

7remingtonmagnum.jpg

7weatherbymagnum.jpg

If I was in your place I'd want to know what happened. I'd inspect the action to see if it's obviously damaged and if not I'd try to open it. It could just be a little brass flow holding it shut with no real damage or it could be complete junk. Take it to a smith if you're not comfortable trying to do it yourself. Once opened the chamber dimensions and headspace need to be checked and the barrel inspected. The case is probably ruptured near the extractor causing the stock damage but that's a guess.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.