Asking for opinings on a new rifle

mrbofus

Hello all,
First of all I many not have many posts here but I quite often read alot and find this site very informative. So with that said, I have the "wants" for a New Stainless 30.06 and have been looking at the Remington SPS that will match my other stainless 2 remmys.
The main questions here is Remington quality of late. Good, bad or indifferent. Many times I hear "I would never buy a new Remington" and I wonder why?
I currently own 3 Remington 700's and all shoot well and I know that the 700 action is very popular for builds
I am not a long range shooter, 400yds may be tops and I really want a quality shooter with a few little tweeks (ie trigger and stock work) and handloads
So how are the New 700's these days?
I am also looking at the Vanguard and Savage in that $600 +/- range

Thanks for any and all input and if this is a redundant thread, please forgive me and point me in the right direction.

MB

Hello all,
First of all I many not have many posts here but I quite often read alot and find this site very informative. So with that said, I have the "wants" for a New Stainless 30.06 and have been looking at the Remington SPS that will match my other stainless 2 remmys.
The main questions here is Remington quality of late. Good, bad or indifferent. Many times I hear "I would never buy a new Remington" and I wonder why?
I currently own 3 Remington 700's and all shoot well and I know that the 700 action is very popular for builds
I am not a long range shooter, 400yds may be tops and I really want a quality shooter with a few little tweeks (ie trigger and stock work) and handloads
So how are the New 700's these days?
I am also looking at the Vanguard and Savage in that $600 +/- range

Thanks for any and all input and if this is a redundant thread, please forgive me and point me in the right direction.

MB
Well in my experience the vanguard and the savage are both better factory rifles than the Remington. The Remington does have more aftermarket support that's true, but not by much. I myself would pick a vanguard, tikka, cz or a Winchester before a Remington, I do own one rem not and have have a few pass threw my hands. I really like the Winchester extremely weather, I just have a sort spot for that action really.

Go with the Remmy. You shouldn't be disappointed. I have a newer Remington (5R MilSpec .308 Win) built in the last few years and it shoots sub-¼ MOA groups with handloads. I also have a buddy who has a fairly new model SPS .300 WM, and with handloads we've gotten his down to shooting ½ MOA groups.

Re: Asking for opinions on a new rifle

I know this is a open ended topic, love /hate kind of deal. I really like my current remingtons but they are 5 to 20 years old so mainly wondering about the quality of the current 700's.
I have never owned a weatherby but it seems the new S2 is getting great reviews.

MB

I know this is a open ended topic, love /hate kind of deal. I really like my current remingtons but they are 5 to 20 years old so mainly wondering about the quality of the current 700's.
I have never owned a weatherby but it seems the new S2 is getting great reviews.

MB

This may influence your decision.

Check out this brand new Remington 700's recoil lug

A nice PTG recoil lug is $25.99 from Midway......And if that's the only problem you have with the Rem 700...Then I'd say that's not enough to deter me.

I've been shooting Rem 700 rifles for a LONG time now, and have had no issues.

So, if you're one of those people who is afraid to take a rifle to the gunsmith, then get a Browning A-Bolt II, they'll be perfect from the factory. I've owned 2 of them, and still have 1 of them. They're great rifles.

However, doing a little smith work to a Remington SPS, truing the threads and shoulder on the factory barrel and truing the action and using a better lug, you will love the gun 10x better, and it should be a shooter for alot less money than a custom.

A nice PTG recoil lug is $25.99 from Midway......And if that's the only problem you have with the Rem 700...Then I'd say that's not enough to deter me.

I've been shooting Rem 700 rifles for a LONG time now, and have had no issues.

So, if you're one of those people who is afraid to take a rifle to the gunsmith, then get a Browning A-Bolt II, they'll be perfect from the factory. I've owned 2 of them, and still have 1 of them. They're great rifles.

However, doing a little smith work to a Remington SPS, truing the threads and shoulder on the factory barrel and truing the action and using a better lug, you will love the gun 10x better, and it should be a shooter for alot less money than a custom.

Point well taken.

On the Savage, is the Accustock worth the extra money?

Point well taken.

On the Savage, is the Accustock worth the extra money?
I don't think so, in my opinion. Also, I've played with the Accutriggers alot too....They're as bad as the new Remington X-Mark Pro triggers, which suck.

Honestly, the only factory trigger worth it's weight is the Browning A-Bolt II, after you buy the $18 Rifle Basix spring kit for it. Takes a whole 10 mins to install it, and breaks like glass. I couldn't have imagined for $18 my factory Browning trigger would feel that good.

After spending countless hours playing with the Rem X-Mark Pro triggers I am convinced they are the biggest *** installed in any factory rifle there is available today.

I replace all my x-marks with old style Remington triggers.

Thanks for the input,
This weekend I hope to get to the LGS and look at a few Savages and Vanguards and compare them to the 700 Rem. I may consider the "upper" lever 700's since I can not ever leave well enough alone since I am already thinking of a new stock-bed and float, trigger job/replacement, and possible a break.
...then comes the glass.....

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts