As Time Goes By .....(flaming)

This has been an interesting read, I believe it shows some real appreciation for Len and his site.

Now, about mister Kirby, calling the most amazing cartridge in the history of the planet a "ballistic **** ant...". And then Half-a-Can-of Powder-Per-Shot Grouper jumps right in and agrees with that phrase... Someone has to standup for the little fella, where the hell is Dave King when I need him!!!

You guys fail to understand that a 650 yard shot with a .308 Win. is easily equal in difficulty to a 1200 yard shot with a rifle whose barrel reaches closer to the target because it is thirty something inches long, burns enough powder each shot to refill several .308 cases and hurls bullets that resemble javelins more than the perfect shape of the 175 HPBT! Plus when I let a .308 Win. go the ground does not shake, I don't get a mouthfull of dried grass and gopher turds and my ear drums don't stretch and vibrate for several seconds.

First, I don't know much about ballistics. Second, I do not know what a **** ant is... BUT, I do believe this might have negative connotations towards the most bestest cartridge in the history of the civilized world, plus the whole planet earth as I previously pointed out! Just because the .308 Win. might not have enough poof to ignite some powder charges used by the monster-boomers, does not mean anyone should hold its name in vain!

Not sure if this is the kind of flaming that turned Wyo off, hope not but this is very serious to me. I cannot stand by and let this kind of trash-talk take place about - what was I talking about? I seemed to have forgot already dammit! I've got a couple of thousand .308 cases to reload, when I remember I will get back to you guys. Now whatever it was, no more, OK Kirby!!!

Good thing this is only a computer screen, right guys. Thanks to everybody for making this a fun place to share real info and get a few grins.

Ian:

Rumor is that Kirby will be introducing a new Allen Magnum this spring designed on a case that he created. He will slightly modify the primer pocket and when you prime it you will actually seat a primed 308 case, full of powder, into the "slightly modified primer pocket". Because of the capacity of the new round it will take the little 308 to just reliably ignite the charge of his newly designed magnum.

See there.....the 308 can still be useful even in these modern "magnum" times.:);):)

Dick,
I saw a .308 case a while back that would be ideal, the flash hole was the same size as the primer pocket. A friend got a little carried away with a powder charge in his .308 Win. but his trusty Rem. 700 stayed together.

I thought Kirby was just being polite.

At Sportmans Warehouse one day I saw a guy at the counter buying a bolt action rifle chambered in .308Win. in a Savage. He was babbling about reading all about it on some forum.

When he was leaving the sporting good store with it I could hear the other guys at the counter. Not exactly what they were saying but bits and pieces like, that 308 is old school, ladies gun, be nice, he's just learning, little cartridge for little guys, stop laughing I think he can hear us. After he left the guy behind the couter was flapping his hands behind his jaws while making a fish face and everyone had a good laugh.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.