Are bolt actions too slow

Rocketeer77

There's a professional pest controller in Australia using a 308 Winchester who shoots five pigs that's with four of them on the run with a bolt action. How quick and accurate some shooters are with bolt actions is impressive.

There's a professional pest controller in Australia using a 308 Winchester who shoots five pigs that's with four of them on the run with a bolt action. How quick and accurate some shooters are with bolt actions is impressive.

It depends on the NUT behind the trigger. This guy is awesome!

He has a few videos in YouTube.

NRA rapid fire @ 200 - bolt gun, 5 then another 5 from stripper clip - 60 seconds.

Like from WWI, stripper clips. Good shooters, expert & above 95 with high X count.

Looks like a SMLE ^^.
Yea Indian army and they used 303's for decades. Looks like a competition shoot & he's certainly taking aim as well so it's not some Tik Tok demo 🤣

I used to think I was a pretty good shot.. then I started shooting prs and had my eyes opened. Sign up for a local PRS match, it will make you a Much better and faster shooter
Did some shooting at Peace Maker shooting range and did fairly well at 1000+ yards using 6CM and then attempted shooting 1 Mile at Black Bear shooting complex and hit 1 out of 5 with 6.5x47. Having a spotter is a must that can read the wind.

Did some shooting at Peace Maker shooting range and did fairly well at 1000+ yards using 6CM and then attempted shooting 1 Mile at Black Bear shooting complex and hit 1 out of 5 with 6.5x47. Having a spotter is a must that can read the wind.
Wind is usually the biggest reason for a miss at range. I've seen ranges from 300-1700 yards at matches and the spotters can't call for you. You're totally on your own for wind, where you miss and adjust. Throw in shooting off obstacles in uncomfortable positions 8-12 rounds in 90-120 seconds and it's a hell of a challenge

Last edited:
This is why we full length size…no smacking the bolt open and/or knocking your sight picture over into the next county. Manage recoil, keep trigger pressed back until impact, run bolt quickly and smoothly, and make follow up shots.

This is why we full length size…no smacking the bolt open and/or knocking your sight picture over into the next county. Manage recoil, keep trigger pressed back until impact, run bolt quickly and smoothly, and make follow up shots.
Yeah good point. When I was new to reloading I was trying to do all the things I'd heard could improve accuracy (out of a rifle that to this day won't do better than 3/4 moa ajd serves its purpose just fine)

Two of those things were neck sizing and seating the bullets to jam the lands.

Now I have no use for such practices in a general purpose field gun (I will still try this for dedicated distance shooters like my .300 Winnie or .243 for target shooting). My 257 bee, 270 win, 8x57, and 358 Norma all get full sized and bullets well clear of the lands for total speed and reliability in real world hunting situations (and the 8mm and 358 get crimped too)