A Bolt and accuracy...an oxymoron?

There was a guy on the forum who shot several elk at 900-1100 yards with an A-bolt in 300 WM. He was/is a benchrest shooter and knew how to develop loads. Name was Goodgrouper. He used a Leupold V3.

+1 for Handloading.

I have an A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse in 7mm WSM. When I use factory ammo, groups < 1.0 MOA groups at 100 yards were few and far between. When I started handloading, and applying a lot of the information I got from this forum, I found rifle shoots better than I can. Now, < 0.5 MOA groups are not unusual at 600 yards.

I have owned two A-Bolts - and both shot under 1 MOA out of the box. While it is possible that it may be your barrel, I would first take a hard look at your scope. Leupold makes a great scope for the $$ invested, but I have had to return a couple of VX-3's in recent years because they would not hold a zero (crosshairs were moving on me). If your scope turns out not to be the problem, then I would replace the stock with the Bell & Carlson and bed it. Be sure and let us know how things turned out for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts