AR - Reloading

mike33

Is there anything i need to know for reloading my ar that would be different than reloading by rem. 700? I never reoladed for a semi before, and only neck size for it. I know i will have to fl for the Ar. Btw, im looking for a full length 223 die seems like there wiped out too. Should of bought one years ago.
Mike

Always full length size. Make sure you bump the shoulder back a few thousands. Be sure the primers are fully seated. Verify that your loaded round will fit in the magazine unless you want to single feed.

With lever actions, and semi's I use SB small base dies when available. I use mine for hunting, and that one time I didn't get the BCG all the way forward because a case was a little overgrown!! I went home empty handed.

Mike33,

Cases gages; use them. They'll save you a tremendous amount of trouble that could all be easily avoided by simply setting the dies correctly to begin with. Reloading for ARs (any semi-auto, for that matter) is a form of advanced handloading. Needs to be treated differently than a bolt gun all the way around. The other posters have already given you some good advice, and it should be followed.

I'd recommend oicking up a copy of Glen Zediker's Handloading for Competition: Making the Target Bigger as a great place to start, there's a wealth of info in there specifically as to what goes into loading ARs successfully.

Sometimes full-length szing might not even be enough. I have the RCBS AR-Series Small-Base dies which shrinks the base down just enough for proper cycling in semi-auto rifles. They're not any more expensive than regular ones are, but they might be harder to find right now since all the Odumber gun ban talk...

I have reloaded thousands of 223's for three different AR's. I like the RCBS FL X dye for 223. No jams, no case trimming and superb case life and accuracy. The X dye design requires just an initial trim, sizing all cases to the same length. The dye has a stop at the case mouth that once adjusted, sizes the case length in addition to the case itself. I get 10+ reloads out of Lapua brass. I was skeptical of the dye at first but it works perfectly. I use it for my DPMS, Bushmaster, and Colt HBar.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts