AR 15 optic

Ground squirrels are tiny objects. So I use high power and big objectives. A couple of my AR's have Vortex Vipers 5-25X 50mm. I got them pre covid so they were 1/2 the price that they are now.

I also have some 8-32X 56mm for really long range PD red misting.

As distance goes up you need really fine cross hairs so they don't cover up the object. People that tell me that they use less than 10 power on long range shooting???? :( I start waving the BS flag. Even in the military the squad sniper rifles had a fixed 10 power for all us young kids with great eyes!

I just find higher power to be so much easier on your eyes for prolonged varmint shooting. I've shot as many as 500 rounds per day and I take at least 3 rifle with me and just cycle through them. When gun one warms up you switch to #2 and then #3

I use laser illuminators for low light and night pig hunting

Last edited:
It all comes down to what you want to do with it. The wife runs a 6-18 on one of hers, nothing above 6x on mine right now & I have a few.

t

The PST 2-10x32 is a good candidate.

I have a gen 1 2.5-10x32 on an AR and it's an absolutely fantastic optic for exactly what you're wanting it for.

I've been using a Trijicon Ascent 1-4 on my AR for coyotes at shorter ranges and it's been great. I use 1x 90% of the time because it's so fast on target for running shots but 4x gives you more precision than a red dot for when you have a longer poke at a smaller target.

A LPV at 1x with a clean reticle is a good to great red dot. I often use my Meopta on 1x for low to no light hog hunts and it is outstanding, the clarity of the glass makes a big difference over a typical red dot with typical red dot glass. I can see a world better through it. Turn it up and you have a scope, illumination on or not. I only use the illumination when it gets close and fast or dark.

I'm big on higher power big objective scopes. Even in the military the squad sniper 308 rifles have a fixed 10 power for young guys with great eyes. My biggest scope is a 10-40X and you can crank it up to over 30X and see the holes appear on the paper at 200 yards. Like my Avatar picture. The first shot was at the bottom and I just cranked the 1/8th inch increment clicks to move it up and over till it was dialed in dead on at 200. Then you are ready for bench rest squirrel or PD hunting way out there using your handy ballistic charts for the atmospheric conditions

But anyway for us people that don't have the money to justify thermal or night vision scopes the next best thing is "Laser Illuminators"

I have the Laser Genetics ND-3 x50 Subzero Laser Designator I think that you can still get them on Ebay. The 50 mm is kind of big, but it really works on the darkest of nights from stands and feeders on Texas least hunting land. I can point my rifle and light up an area and have a couple of friends shooting also. Like on the count of 3 you take the left, center, right one. Great fun or shooting for doubles when they are lined up. Or going for records of how many with one shot when they all have their heads down in the long feeder trough.

This is a smaller cheaper version.