First ar-15...what scope?

On my precision AR, I run a SS 3-15X42....this optic in no joke....like it a lot! Bright clear, ffp, turrets work and you can feel them....maybe a tad mushy, but definitely clickable.

My key point is if I want to reach out to 600 or so which is within range for the 223, I want some magnification.

It may help if you told us the distance you plan to shoot this rifle at. I have ran scopes up to 24 power on AR's over the yrs, but being I have LR rifles, I do not shoot much farther than 600 with one. So an LPVO works for me. I have used a couple low power Leupolds, 1-5, 1-6, and they did everything I needed at 500 yards. But I was shooting 75gr bullets, that may make a big difference.
I run an Aimpoint on one, a NX8 1-8 power on another, and a 4.5-14 Mark 4 on another.
Looking back, my all time favorite was a NF NXS 2-10, not sure why I do not still own it, it would do everything I ask of a AR.

It may help if you told us the distance you plan to shoot this rifle at. I have ran scopes up to 24 power on AR's over the yrs, but being I have LR rifles, I do not shoot much farther than 600 with one. So an LPVO works for me. I have used a couple low power Leupolds, 1-5, 1-6, and they did everything I needed at 500 yards. But I was shooting 75gr bullets, that may make a big difference.
I run an Aimpoint on one, a NX8 1-8 power on another, and a 4.5-14 Mark 4 on another.
Looking back, my all time favorite was a NF NXS 2-10, not sure why I do not still own it, it would do everything I ask of a AR.
I'm thinking I'm gonna try the 77gr tmk, and I'll shoot it to transonic. It's pretty accurate, during sight in, I borrowed a 2-10 veracity off another rifle, I shot this at a 100 yds with American gunner ammo
51663E09-EA8A-4923-B792-32C61AD557E9.jpeg
51663E09-EA8A-4923-B792-32C61AD557E9.jpeg

Because I have a Rock River match A2 and a 26"bull bbl RR upper in the safe with my RR 22" standard A2, I don't intend the basic A2 to be "long range".
It works good as a rainy day and/or pinker. I found a deal on Leu. VX5 1-5 pwr which is very nice. Only thing I would change is reticle. Once I got used to mil marks on reticle a plain duplex leaves me guessing.
It is mounted on a Leu. Riser with Leu. Medium 35mm PWR rings.
from what I saw and I saw a lot of AR's, RRA AR rifles the most accurate out of the box

I'm thinking I'm gonna try the 77gr tmk, and I'll shoot it to transonic. It's pretty accurate, during sight in, I borrowed a 2-10 veracity off another rifle, I shot this at a 100 yds with American gunner ammoView attachment 192374View attachment 192374
I would need 15 power minimum, but would most likely go 18 power minimum if these were my goals. My eyes not that great, and 223 bullets not the easiest to pick up at 1K on a miss.

I would need 15 power minimum, but would most likely go 18 power minimum if these were my goals. My eyes not that great, and 223 bullets not the easiest to pick up at 1K on a miss.
Im considering upgrading my scope on my 308 and sticking my stac 4-20 on. A 3-16 would be a better option, but I don't really shoot stuff that close here

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.