AR-15 build advice

I have already talked to the OP directly. We use both the 6.5 Grendel and The 6.8 SPCII as "Truck guns" on our properties in Texas. We shoot them both suppressed with 18" barrels. We kill several hundred Hogs a year and the 6.8 does a better job...

6.8 is a good choice. I have both 6.8 and 6.5 grendel. ARP barrel is the way to go in 6.8. They also make 6.5 grendel barrels. 6.8 with hornady sst is poison on hogs.

Thanks for all the input so far, guys. Think I'm going to go with an 18" ARP barrel in 6.8 on a jp enterprise upper/lower. I'm still debating the giessele and trigger tech trigger
Those are great triggers, they are also pretty expensive, I also looked at those and also looked at Rise Armament, I decided to go with RA due to the price and I am glad I did. It breaks clean every time at 3.5lbs, I purchased it on sale from Brownells for 89.00 and it comes with anti-rotation pins. They are worth a look.

I built a 6.5 Grendel upper for mine. 18" barrel, green mountain rebrand, on an aero receiver. Actually have it for sale in the classified section. Great shooting gun just don't shoot it much and looking to build a bolt gun for an elk hunt.

The Geissele SSA-E is worth every penny. I have a RR NM and tried others. No comparison.

I have already talked to the OP directly. We use both the 6.5 Grendel and The 6.8 SPCII as "Truck guns" on our properties in Texas. We shoot them both suppressed with 18" barrels. We kill several hundred Hogs a year and the 6.8 does a better job...
How far are you shooting? I went Grendel to get a 300 yd killing range and a little more power and penetration than 300BK. No one I hunt with shoots 6.8. I read glowing hog kill reviews but they all seem to be 100 yds and in. Your results?

My 6.8spc groups better and runs more reliably now that I swapped the bcg for a lightweight one and put an adjustable gas block on it. It's 20" with rifle length gas system.

It's definitely effective under 300 yards but you better have your dope figured out. With a 100yd zero I'm about 4" at 200 and 17" at 300 yds when shooting 120gr sst. My node was at about 2500

Last edited:
I mentioned earlier that my preferred rifle is the 6.8 SPC II, but for my daily carry/truck gun, I use my .300 Blackout with 120gr Sig Sauer HT. With a 36/200yd zero, I'm ~2.5" high at 100yd and ~14.5" low at 300yds, in my area most shots are well under 200yds. It's 21" with the pistol brace folded and 30" with brace extended with the suppressor and 14" and 23" without.

Attachments

• C7023216-BBBA-4A24-8EF9-55570554DB8C.jpeg
    C7023216-BBBA-4A24-8EF9-55570554DB8C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
How far are you shooting? I went Grendel to get a 300 yd killing range and a little more power and penetration than 300BK. No one I hunt with shoots 6.8. I read glowing hog kill reviews but they all seem to be 100 yds and in. Your results?

We have Hog kills to 400 yards with 18" barrels. 110's and 115's hammer them hard.

We run 2,700 and change FPS from the 110 AB's IIRC drop at 300 is 9"

Last edited:
The grendel has the advantage of higher bc bullets. But the max pressure for the grendel is lower due to the larger case head diameter and bolt stress issues. My 16" 6.8 is faster than my 18" 6.5. Because of the higher bc eventually it catches up. Both are good choices. The 6.5 has the advantage of lapua brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.