AR-15 build advice

I've been shooting the Grendel for about 10 years now. The 100gr Barnes tsx is a great killer for deer and pigs. We hunt pigs a lot where I am. Several guys I hunt with are using the Grendel round with thermal scopes. To me the most impressive one is a 12.5" ar pistol chambered for the Grendel. It works great in the shorter barrels and he has killed pigs at over 300 yards with it

I just built a AR 15 in 300 Blackout w/10.5" barrell w/9" handrail, folding stock and a 2 MOA red dot scope. I also have a suppressor for it. I can shoot 140 grain supersonic and/or subsonic using 190 grain bullet. It folds up to 20" which is perfect to lay on the front seat and you can do some damage on those hogs

I'm thinking about building another ar-15. My priorities for this gun would be:
1. Precision
2. A hammer on hogs
3. Light weight and maneuverable gun to keep in the truck.

So far, I'm looking at a few different calibers, mainly 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC II, 450 bushmaster, and 458 socom. I'd like to stay in the ar-15 platform if possible, but I'm not opposed to going to the at-10 if I can keep the weigh manageable. What are y'all thoughts about these calibers? Also, what individual components do you recommend as far as barrels, BCGs, etc.?

All are good choices. It really comes down to personal preference. I have all of the above rifles and my favorite are my Daniel Defense 6.8 SPC II and Wilson Combart .458 SOCOM. The 6.8 is lighter and has much less recoil for follow up shots on hogs and higher magazine capacity. All will do what you want.

Picture is Daniel Defense 18" barrel 6.8 SPC II 50yd zero suppressed SilencerCo Hybrid 46 shooting Hornady 110gr HPBT

Attachments

• D1CE615A-66E9-48C0-94E0-75827EA0DDEC.jpeg
    D1CE615A-66E9-48C0-94E0-75827EA0DDEC.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I'm thinking about building another ar-15. My priorities for this gun would be:
1. Precision
2. A hammer on hogs
3. Light weight and maneuverable gun to keep in the truck.

I put a 300 Blackout upper (by Advanced Armament) on an AR 15 lower, and topped it with a Trijicon ACOG, made with cross hairs for both sub and supersonic 300 BLK ammo.
Admittedly, this doesn't fulfill requirement #1, but is fun shooting with little recoil. And wasn't real expensive.

I'll qualifying myself by saying I've hunted with the 6.8 SPC II for over ten years here in "short range" NC and have always been more than satisfied... If you don't reload, it's a great choice...

Now, if you reload, check out the 7mm Valkyrie at Mad Dog Weapon Supply... It is THE best and most powerful long range AR 15 based round you'll find anywhere! The ballistics are nothing short of rocket science!!! It will send a 130 grain projectile dow range at 3100 fps.... and a 140 grain at 2850 fps... This is in a lightweight AR15 platform!

https://www.7mmvalkyrie.com/about.html

Research the 12.5" Grendel pistol for your truck gun. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it's effectiveness out to 300yds.
Had I not already built a 20" & 16" that would've been my choice for a mid range compact answer.

I've been playing with the grendel for a couple years. I'm a big fan. I built 3 last year. One for my son with a 24" midway barrel that he hasent shown enough interest in to see what it will do . For my daughter I built an 18" saturn barrel , odinworks bcg, cmmc 3.5lbs single stage drop in trigger group, ar15discounts billet upper/12" matching handguard, and a nikon 4-12 scope. Sweet shooting rig that in her hands , shoots 1 moa or better with hornady black 123 sst factory loads. Mine has a 20" lilja 3 groove barrel, a WMD nikel boron coated bolt carrier/ JP enterprises bolt , JP enterprises recoil spting/buffer , Larue tactical stock, cmmc single stage 2.5lbs drop in trigger (which I LOVE), the same ar15discounts billet upper/matching 12" handguard (highly recommend) and a sightron 4-16 stac scope.. It's a laser! Shoots best so far with fed gold metal/berger 130 factory ammo. Best so far is .304 3 shots at 100.
Next plans call for getting some good dies and seeing what I can do with home rolled loads. I haven't shot any game with the 6.5 grendel, but its abilities are well known on hogs and medium sized critters.

Both my barrels are Ballistic Advantage and are extremely accurate and in my experience with them their CS went to great service to help me. I have recently installed a bootleg adjustable bcg for future use with a suppressor for ease of adjustment

If you reload the 300 Ham'r is what you want. It was developed for exactly the purpose you have described. My 16 1/4" barrel delivers a 130 grain pill at almost 2500 FPS, a higher velocity than your other choices out of that barrel length. It's a 200 yard + gun that's reasonable to build but expensive to buy completed.

Well crappola. Pic won't go through. Double on pigs.
I use Blackout and Grendel. Grendel is my choice. Proven from point blank out to 300 yards on game for me. With exotics being available, I needed a lightweight truck gun that could take on bigger game at range. Couldn't stand the thought of holding a 556 and watching an elk/oryx/axis go over the ridge. Built a couple for others on carbon fiber wrapped barrels, but mine is Satern.
I shoot suppressed on some. For suppressed Grendel most definitely get adjustable gas block or you get LOTS of gas blow back in your face. I prefer Superlative Arms for a variety of reasons. Just make sure you choose a bullet that will open at your point of impact velocity for the range you will be hitting. I hate bullet blow ups close or pencil throughs way out. Then the Jagdterriers have to go to work trailing.

For maximium delivered energy I'd go with a 450 bushmaster. In a pistol or SBR configuration.

For less energy but better accuracy I'd go with a 30 HRT 1:7 twist probably, mainly to shoot the cheap 125gr TNTs at max velocity with the ability to shoot the heavy nosler balistic tip for smack'um power. Given you have the AR10 already, I'd go with a pistol or sbr in this as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.