AR-15 build advice

Blackdirt Cowboy

I'm thinking about building another ar-15. My priorities for this gun would be:
1. Precision
2. A hammer on hogs
3. Light weight and maneuverable gun to keep in the truck.

So far, I'm looking at a few different calibers, mainly 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC II, 450 bushmaster, and 458 socom. I'd like to stay in the ar-15 platform if possible, but I'm not opposed to going to the at-10 if I can keep the weigh manageable. What are y'all thoughts about these calibers? Also, what individual components do you recommend as far as barrels, BCGs, etc.?

I built a 6.5 Grendel. I'm happy with the accuracy I'm getting. I do know a few friends who built 6.8 spc ll and they seem to be happy. If your hunting multiple hogs and need multiple shots then flip a coin to decide

I built a 6.5 Grendel. I'm happy with the accuracy I'm getting. I do know a few friends who built 6.8 spc ll and they seem to be happy. If your hunting multiple hogs and need multiple shots then flip a coin to decide

Y'all are supposed to be my coin. :eek: I'm leaning toward the 6.8 SPC II as it is optimized for a 16" barrel, whereas the 6.5 Grendel is better out of a 20" tube. I plan to let this gun ride around in the truck with me, so the 16" barrel is really calling my name. But then I found a 6.5 creedmore in the ar-10 platform and that's just muddying the waters. I already have a .308 ar-10, so I'm not sure the creedmore will add anything except some weight.

Y'all are supposed to be my coin. I'm leaning toward the 6.8 SPC II as it is optimized for a 16" barrel, whereas the 6.5 Grendel is better out of a 20" tube. I plan to let this gun ride around in the truck with me, so the 16" barrel is really calling my name. But then I found a 6.5 creedmore in the ar-10 platform and that's just muddying the waters. I already have a .308 ar-10, so I'm not sure the creedmore will add anything except some weight.
If I had to build a rifle with a 16 inch barrel I would chose the 6.8 spc ll. Only because of what I have read on the internet.

I also shoot my ar's suppressed, so I have to take that into account with barrel length as well. What components would you him with? I've been looking at arp and Wilson combat barrels. I don't want to skimp on the barrel or the trigger. I know it will wear a geiselle trigger, but I'm not sure what barrel to go with.

I have been deer hunting this year with an AR-15 18" Oden Works barrel in 6.5 Grendel that I built. I used an 15" STNGR handguard tube and put a Kaw Valley muzzle device that projects blast down range and it works. I used a POF 3.5 lb trigger that is really crisp. I used the adjustable style stock and put an Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS scope on it. It is light and well balanced and handles great. It is a tack driver and deer hammer with 120 Sierra Pro Hunter with a handload of 28.5 grs IMR 8208, Hornady case, CCI 450 COAL 2.250 which does average 2550 fps. I have another AR with 20" BCA upper that was a nightmare but they replaced the barrel and I finally got it to shoot sub moa with 120 Speer Gold Dots and 28 grs IMR 8208, Hornady case, CCI 450 and does 2550 fps. I killed one deer with it last year and this bullet did AWESOME and would be a good hog bullet. With the 6.5 Grendel you have such a better selection of bullets than with 6.8. One fellow over on the Grendel web site kills a BUNCH of hogs with the Speer 90 gr TNT. If your were to go with 16" barrel you could still get in the mid 2400 fps with 120s which is plenty of velocity for a good distance.

I also shoot my ar's suppressed, so I have to take that into account with barrel length as well. What components would you him with? I've been looking at arp and Wilson combat barrels. I don't want to skimp on the barrel or the trigger. I know it will wear a geiselle trigger, but I'm not sure what barrel to go with.
Before you decide on a Geisel let trigger take a look at trigger tech adjustable. I am confident you will change your mind.

I have a 223 and just upgraded to a 6.5 Grendel, I have killed hogs with the 223 upper on the AR, have not had the opportunity to shoot any with the 6.5 Grendel yet, I dropped hogs in there tracks with the 223, you just have to shoot them in the neck, behind the ear to break the neck. I shot three one night in March, all at the same bait pile, they never ran off after each shot, the hogs never made a sound shooting them in the neck/ear area, not sure if that was the reason or not for the others not leaving. When you do build your AR, keep in mind the trigger is another major aspect of the build. The Mil-Spec triggers are very tough, the one that came in mine broke between 6.5lbs (once) to 8.5lbs majority of the time. I upgraded to a Rise Armament drop in trigger that breaks at 3 to 3.5lbs each time, nice clean break no creep. Good luck on your build and let us know what you end up doing.

1. Precision
2. A hammer on hogs

So far, I'm looking at a few different calibers, mainly 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC II, 450 bushmaster, and 458 socom. I'd like to stay in the ar-15 platform if possible, but I'm not opposed to going to the at-10 if I can keep the weigh manageable. What are y'all thoughts about these calibers? Also, what individual components do you recommend as far as barrels, BCGs, etc.?
1. Precision
2. A hammer on hogs

I vote for the 6.5 Grendel. I just finished building one myself last week specifically for hog hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.