AR-10 accuracy?

DPMS RECON GII 16" is easily a sub MOA. From a 125-190 it is incredibly accurate. Next up will be the GII Bull 24". Just the physics of shorter barrel is usually more accurate & out to probably 500 yds or so shouldn't see much if any real difference from the 20-24" barrels. Longer distance's sure, but the M1A 308 & 22" barrels easily get great accuracy to 1,000 yds no problem.

It took me several bullets to find one my DPMS GII Bull likes but that was an 8 shot group.

Still trying to find something a little better if it exists. The rifle is factory except the trigger which is a Trigger Tech adjustable.

20190316_152857.jpg

Hello All,

I have a RockRiver LAR-8 flitted 20" barrel and new aluminum hand guards. I mounted a Nikon 308 scope. It's the scope made for 308 semi-auto rifles (AR-10). Zeroed at 100 and shoots very sweet at 500, 750 & 1,000. RockRiver did a nice job putting this together and the balance and weight (it's a little heavy) helps with recoil. I always look forward to shooting my military style semi-autos. I have a few and a couple AR pistols too :) My awesome wife (a shooter also) got me a Sig MCX Victor in 300 AAC w/9" barrel. Almost bought the Springfield Saint but glad I stuck with the Sig for this firearm. I get real nice distance with that one too.

Sharing stories with my friends here at LRH :)
Shamrockshooter

I shoot a Rhino Arms AR10 in .308. My buddy has a GAP10 in .308. They both perform right at 1/2 MOA consistently. I've posted these pics a bunch on the forum but here is what the rhino arms does with 175 FGMM. I also have consistent hits on 75% IPSC targets at 750 yards.

First target is a 6 shot group at 100. The one outside the bullseye was the sighter. The next was at competition with a 100 yard cold bore shot for the first event of the day. It was timed 2 mins for one shot at 630 in the morning. You had to find your card on a board of 20 different cards.

View attachment 129621

View attachment 129623
I see that bet money:D

Thanks for all your input, I've decided to change the barrel, ordered an BSF carbon fiber match flutted barrel today. I will post results. I'm also thinking of replacing the bolt to a Lantac. Anyone have an opinion on Lantac bolts?

I have one I built with all JP parts aside from the receivers. Shoots right around 1/2 MOA with good factory ammo. Have multiple buddies who shoot JPs in 7.62 as well they are all pretty much 1/2 MOA rifles. You pay for it though.

Built a 7.62 upper because "while I was there.... " I could do it for a reasonable price. Brownell's sells an exclusive Satern made AR10 7.62 barrel and I bought one. Using a Lantac BCG I'm still working on barrel break-in, but you know how some rifles just shoot well and others don't no matter what you try? This one is giving off hints its a shooter. I hit whatever I pointed it at out to the 11" X 17" steel plate at ~600 yards. Need to get it on paper to see what it will really do.

I shoot a DPMS GII Hunter, 20" barrel, 7.62X51

As mentioned above, there is a different technique required to shoot a gas gun accurately. I suggest getting a copy of the Magpull DVD series on long range gas gun shooting, it's much easier to see different techniques being used than just reading about it. I would also suggest trading the 16" barrel to a 20" just to take advantage of the ability of the cartridge you are shooting.

Out of all the powders available for gas guns, I have found H4895 behind a Nosler 165grn Ballistic tip to give me incredible accuracy out to 1000yds so far.

I would be willing to bet that after you figure out your technique behind a gas gun, you will see a good improvement on your shots and hits. When you become proficient with your gas gun, you will be able to watch your bullet impact the target through your scope.
I would put my money on IMR 4064 with that particular bullet, especially if you have a rifle +2 gas system and 22" barrel. H-4895 is only kind to certain guns, and not that many at that.

My GAP 10 is a 1/3 moa rifle on average....the cost well, one is it was expensive to set up and two it's current set up has it pushing 17.5lbs empty. Its my heaviest rifle by 4lbs

That said it is fun to touch off 3-shots before the first report comes back and hear nothing but ping,ping,ping on steel at 4-600 with on lookers like ***.

Last edited:
i would love to see a 5 shot group at 400 that supports that statement.

My GAP 10 is a 1/3 moa rifle on average....the cost well, one is it was expensive to set up and two it's current set up has it pushing 17.5lbs empty. Its my heaviest rifle by 4lbs

That said it is fun to touch off 3-shots before the first report comes back and hear nothing but ping,ping,ping on steel at 4-600 with on lookers like ***.

It took me several bullets to find one my DPMS GII Bull likes but that was an 8 shot group.

Still trying to find something a little better if it exists. The rifle is factory except the trigger which is a Trigger Tech adjustable.

View attachment 129804

If you can get rounds touching that's a win. I would give that AR a thumbs up.

My groups suck with my AR10 because I'm always readjusting after each shot. The AR10 platforms give me a lot of trouble with that forward recoil impulse.

An AR 10 platform rifle can be very accurate! I built one in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Timney Trigger and a Proof Research 24" barrel and it shoots 1/2 " to 3/4" groups on a consistent basis!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.