AR-10 accuracy?

TYoung

Just got into an AR10 build and just wondering what kind of accuracy can be expected out of them, the best it's done so far is 1moa at 100yrds. Is that to be expected? I'm contemplating changing the barrel to a 18 or 20 inch rather than a 16. Give me your thoughts please, on barrel lengths, loads, bullets etc. Thanks

This is what I'm working with.

Ascend Armory billet upper and lower
Guntec bolt
Green mount 16" barrel
JP buffer damper spring
Seekins precision scope mount
Leupold vx-3 scope
SA adj. Gas block
Areo free float 12" hand guard
Atlas bipod
CMC drop in trigger
GUNTEC handle and stock

Attachments

• 20190327_130545.jpg
    20190327_130545.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 705
The AR10 can be a tac driver or a 2+ MOA rifle. I have a 16" POF in 308 that can shoo 1/2 moa out to 600 yards. It has also shot some large groups. I struggle with consistency. 1 moa is probably average but if you find a load it likes you might do better. I like the 178 gr range for factory ammo in a gas 308. I would prefer a 20" but I got the 16 on a fire sale. My biggest problem with the ar10 is you can shoot a lot of money in ammo in a matter of minutes.

They definitely can vary. I actually got an oversized upper and hand fitted it to the lower, lapped the receiver where the barrel extension goes and loctited it in to reduce play. It's a 6.5 creed and I used a BA .924 dia barrel at 24 inches. The thing is a pig but it shoots hole through hole. Tolerance and how straight and aligned the guts are as well as how well the bolt lock tolerance, and the barrel extension fit are big in how well it performs. Amongst other things.

you need a STEADY solid rest for the rear.
you need a cheek riser
look at a 22/24" premium bbl,,,say krieger/lija
my bone stock armalite REAL AR10(T) shoots 1/2 with small being 0.3 something
24" front rest/rear bag has shot well out to 600 prone.
my custom has shot as little as 0.116 at 100

I've got a 18" LaRue PredatAR that shoots about any factory load into an inch. It's particularly partial to cheap blue box Federal 150 soft points. Groups average about .6". FGMM 168s shoot about the same. For what's worth, I don't think I'm shooting it to it's full potential...I've concluded shooting to potential requires a different focus than bolt actions. I've killed a number of deer with it and always felt it would excell on hogs. Just haven't made the trip south with it yet. It's heavier than most of my hunting rifles...so it's no longer what I reach for first. I do love AR ergonomics.....and the added punch. If our local laws here ever change, I'd love to add 6.5 and 338 caliber versions. Probably have to move to a free state to chase that dream....

I have a factory Savage in 6.5 creed that shoots way better than I ever thought it would. 1/4" consistently at 100 with handloads. I wanted some speed for varmints so I used 100 grain ELDMs. Gun is factory other than a lighter trigger.

You can do better then 1 MOA at 100 yds with a quality barrel, the question is will it be worth the cost to you... only you can answer that. I shoot a JP 6.5 creedmoor and it is 1/2 MOA or better at 100, within 1 MOA at 200 consistently. it is probably more capable then that but I am not.

I shoot a DPMS GII Hunter, 20" barrel, 7.62X51

As mentioned above, there is a different technique required to shoot a gas gun accurately. I suggest getting a copy of the Magpull DVD series on long range gas gun shooting, it's much easier to see different techniques being used than just reading about it. I would also suggest trading the 16" barrel to a 20" just to take advantage of the ability of the cartridge you are shooting.

Out of all the powders available for gas guns, I have found H4895 behind a Nosler 165grn Ballistic tip to give me incredible accuracy out to 1000yds so far.

I would be willing to bet that after you figure out your technique behind a gas gun, you will see a good improvement on your shots and hits. When you become proficient with your gas gun, you will be able to watch your bullet impact the target through your scope.

Last edited:
I shoot a Rhino Arms AR10 in .308. My buddy has a GAP10 in .308. They both perform right at 1/2 MOA consistently. I've posted these pics a bunch on the forum but here is what the rhino arms does with 175 FGMM. I also have consistent hits on 75% IPSC targets at 750 yards.

First target is a 6 shot group at 100. The one outside the bullseye was the sighter. The next was at competition with a 100 yard cold bore shot for the first event of the day. It was timed 2 mins for one shot at 630 in the morning. You had to find your card on a board of 20 different cards.

0CE0F57B-554F-49D1-BA81-2C1C42F84359.jpeg

EEEC3293-94B1-412D-8001-71C823A6D362.jpeg

My one complaint about AR10s, and this might only be my issue, is you're controlling two recoil impulses. The recoil coming back isn't bad, but then you have to manage the recoil coming forward. You have to reset your position every time you fire. It gets challenging during a PRS match.

Edit:

Sorry to answer your question. Both my AR10 and my buddies GAP10 are 18 inch, SS, fluted, heavy contours with 1:10 twist. Unsure of the GAP barrel type but mine is a in house rhino arms barrel.

Last month I finished building an AR10 in 6mm Creedmoor and and AR15 in 223 Wylde. Both have 22" JP barrels. I'm still working up loads but so far I'm very impressed with both guns. The 223 is already shooting sub 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards on a consistent basis with loads I created for my 223 savage bolt. The 6mm Creedmoor did shoot 3 shots all touching at 200 yards a few days ago and I'm fairly confident i can produce loads that will consistently shoot sub 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. There are several very good barrel makers out there. If you want an AR to shoot small groups, spending money on a premium barrel is money well spent.

Just got into an AR10 build and just wondering what kind of accuracy can be expected out of them, the best it's done so far is 1moa at 100yrds. Is that to be expected? I'm contemplating changing the barrel to a 18 or 20 inch rather than a 16. Give me your thoughts please, on barrel lengths, loads, bullets etc. Thanks
I have had a Ruger SR-762 for about seven years now and would dearly like to find a longer barrel for ir. The current 16+" barrel works adequately but I would like to find 18" barrel that would not void the life time warranty from Ruger.
This is what I'm working with.

Ascend Armory billet upper and lower
Guntec bolt
Green mount 16" barrel
JP buffer damper spring
Seekins precision scope mount
Leupold vx-3 scope
SA adj. Gas block
Areo free float 12" hand guard
Atlas bipod
CMC drop in trigger
GUNTEC handle and stock

Give me your thoughts please, on barrel lengths, loads, bullets etc. Thanks

Please remember to bear in mind that besides the quality of the parts, there are several parts which are moving in succession. These parts have to have a little 'slop' in order to continue to move without locking up when they aren't supposed to. Add heat and pressure to this and you have a situation where nearly everything is conspiring to work against you.

With my apologies... the first thing I would do is get rid of the Green Mountain barrel. The only claim to fame that these barrels bring to the table is that they are cheap. And they are cheap for a reason, the poor quality. If accuracy is your goal, buy a good barrel, get a Bartlein and smile!:D Be sure to use the barrel set up as put forth by Proof Barrels, move the gas port forward then use a custom, longer gas tube. Be sure to understand the relationship between the diameter of the gas port and the function of the rifle. If you can afford it, get an adjustable gas block.

The barrel fit to the upper is another of the factors which make a difference in overall accuracy. The chamber design and extension fit play into this as well. The cartridge has to have room to feed properly and then extract after firing. The extension controls headspace with the bolt.

Find a trigger which your hand and finger can work with. Try several to find the one you are very comfortable with and consistently functions correctly. Anything with springs and levers needs to be consistent.

Use a good bipod since any slop here can do you no good.

Here is a demonstration of a GAP-10 at 1,000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts