AR-10 accuracy?

ya just need to LEARN to shoot them.
i shoot bolt/ar use to shot prone, now only bench.
do not blame the gun we know they shoot well.

My groups suck with my AR10 because I'm always readjusting after each shot. The AR10 platforms give me a lot of trouble with that forward recoil impulse.

My AR10 is more accurate than I'll ever be. Like I said I suck at shooting it.

My AR10 was about 3/4 MOA, but so is my FAL and M1A. I haven't really tweaked them much yet. I was happy with that with a semi auto, but I have seen some shoot much better than that.

My AR10 was about 3/4 MOA, but so is my FAL and M1A. I haven't really tweaked them much yet. I was happy with that with a semi auto, but I have seen some shoot much better than that.

I have a full custom AR15 set up to shoot heavies. It's truly a .25 rifle. It's a joy to shoot.

I have a full custom AR15 set up to shoot heavies. It's truly a .25 rifle. It's a joy to shoot.
I traded off my AR10 in the 90's for a preban M1a because it was more ergonomic. My heavy barrel AR10 just wasn't useable at 13lbs, at least a battle rifle IMO. But I met one during a class who installed a A1 stock which was just a tad shorter. It made a big difference in the way that thing handled.

I would like to see a few 5 shot groups to prove out the 1/4 MOA claim.

To the OP, on average a good barrel with good loads will do repeatable 5 shot groups less than 1MOA. I have shot plenty of groups under 1/2MOA and even put a 5 shot group at 600 last year that measured 2.3" but it wont do that all the time. Mine is a DPMS with a criterion match barrel, geissele trigger, rugged suppressor, and leupold mark 5 3.6-18. Anything less than 1MOA all day and its a good AR10.

Shoots fantastic, this was the first AR style rifle I put together with the intention of getting the same accuracy as my bolt guns, and to use it for hunting. Following is 5 shot group @ 100yrds.
20200323_200701.jpg

It cost more than what I thought it would have but I'm sure I could have saved in some places where I spent more. Total price came out just under 5k. Shoots .25 to .5 MOA. I've only been testing loads @ 100yrds right now so hopefully it will hold those groups as distances grow. The load I'm using right now is 150 serria game kings, 42.3 grains IMR 4064, 2.231 coal, 2475fps.

Thanks for asking, Tim

Attachments

• 20200323_200602.jpg
    20200323_200602.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
1 MOA with factory loads on a $200 GM barrel is a darn good start. Tune a load to that barrel and I have no doubt .65 - .75 is very reasonable.
*Given the same diameter a shorter barrel is stiffer, sacrificing FPS. Powder choice may lessen this loss a bit.
** Every build is about compromise. Agile vs Long range, Utility vs Useful , Cost VS Benefit.....
Tuning a load to the rifle will need t be done with any barrel. I would start there and see if that satisfies your group concerns. [At what point is the gun better than you?]

Last group I shot with my Larue OBR with federal power shok 150s was about 1.25-1.5". Last group with FGMM 168 grainers all holes were touching. The 175s do the same thing. My buddies AR with a Larue barrel is very accurate as well. Barrel and trigger are 2 very good places to invest money in AR pattern rifles.

I bought my first AR10 about a month ago got a cheaper one a PSA Gen3 18inch barrel, I started load development as I prefer hand load and usually shoot 175smk in my bolt gun here's what I can share I used Hodgdon load data for CFE223 my best load was below start load I'm using Hornady brass with Fed 210 primers and 45gr powder seated at 2.80, avg velocity is 2575 with a 9fps SD. Put 25 rounds downrange yesterday at 100 yards to zero the rifle. Here is the result
MVIMG_20200405_105047.jpg
MVIMG_20200323_182436.jpg

Last edited:
I will caution that the first few rounds I loaded at 46gr of CFE were over pressure with flat primers heavy swipe and a little spillage around the primer pocket. At 45 I'm just getting flat primer with no swipes.

This was 600 yards dpms parts, prs stock, Ap free float, jp trigger, superlative block, lilja 11tw 3 groove 20in with black hills 168match.. I built for a customer. The customer shot two in a row first shot prairie dogs at 700 while I was spotting for him..

Attachments

• 20190727_093725.jpg
    20190727_093725.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.